Window 7 HP Startup problem

bigfooted 12:16 04 Sep 2014
Answered

I recently had a problem with my system following an update from Microsoft. They apparently knew there was a problem but did little to notify users until several hundred had complained. They then produced a work around involving editing the registry to remove the problem. I applied this fix and it seemed to work apart from a problem at start up. I am using a Medion computer running Window 7 Home Premium and when I start the system up it gets as far as the Microsoft symbol and 'Loading Windows' and freezes. If I then do a forced shut down using the power switch then restart the system it runs as normal. I have tried CHKDSK and my registry repair program as well as the Windows Repair Utility but these all tell me there is nothing wrong. Whilst this problem is not stopping me from using the computer it is wasting a lot of time having to constantly restart the system every time I use it. My main concern is that there may be an underlying problem which may eventually crash the system all together. Any and all advice gratefully received.

Woolwell 12:31 04 Sep 2014

Do you have update KB2993651 installed. If not try installing it.

bigfooted 12:41 04 Sep 2014

Hi Woolwell, yes I installed that update on Tuesday 02/09/14 but the problem is still occuring, I have tried system restore too but to no avail. I have just run a Win 7 repair disc I made earlier this year but again it runs through the various checks and then tells me it cannot find any problems. It then offer the advise 'Unable to find problem with program. Try Windows Technical help or Windows User Forum on Microsoft site'. I have not tried these yet as I thought it might be a simple fix but I was obviously wrong and will be making these sites my next ports of call. many thanks for the quick reply.

Woolwell 14:19 04 Sep 2014

The forced shut down using the power switch could damage the hard drive. A full re-install of Windows may be necessary or from an image. But not matter what it is essential that you have a good back-up of data.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:04 05 Sep 2014

Run the startup repair several times even though it appears to find nothing

do it at least five times it then may find something.

bigfooted 12:17 05 Sep 2014

Thanks again for the advice, I have just tried a 'new' so called registry maintenance program called RegCurePro, advertised as a Microsoft approved application. The initial start was awe inspiring in that I received a message telling me the program was incompatible with my OS. After reinstalling the program it worked and told me there was nothing wrong with the system even though the boot up still freezes at the first attempt. I have backed up all my files to an external hard drive but am reluctant to do a full re-install of Windows, I will try FruitBay's suggestion concerning the startup repair and report back.

Woolwell 12:24 05 Sep 2014

If you are going to use a registry program then try ccleaner. I avoid any others as IMO they can and often do create more problems than they solve.

bigfooted 13:19 05 Sep 2014

Back again, I did as Fruitbat suggested and on the third startup repair scan it produced the following message, 'A patch is preventing the system starting. Root error 0x490.' I googled the error code and found several different explanations for possible causes but no fix. Several people had experienced this problem and had tried the various fixes suggested but with no success. The only two who had managed to 'repair' this had in one case carried out a full re-install of Win 7, and in the other case running system restore had worked. As I have already tried sys. restore with no luck it looks as though it is time for a complete re-install. many thanks for the help and suggestions offered, unless someone can identify the exact cause and its remedy I will go down this path.

bigfooted 13:19 05 Sep 2014

Back again, I did as Fruitbat suggested and on the third startup repair scan it produced the following message, 'A patch is preventing the system starting. Root error 0x490.' I googled the error code and found several different explanations for possible causes but no fix. Several people had experienced this problem and had tried the various fixes suggested but with no success. The only two who had managed to 'repair' this had in one case carried out a full re-install of Win 7, and in the other case running system restore had worked. As I have already tried sys. restore with no luck it looks as though it is time for a complete re-install. many thanks for the help and suggestions offered, unless someone can identify the exact cause and its remedy I will go down this path.

bigfooted 17:31 05 Sep 2014

Back again but with advice from Tipsandtricksforum.com I was advised to restart the system with a Win7 repair disc in place, select safe mode with command prompt and enter the following; Enter BootRec.exe/fixmbr I did this then restarted the system and it appears to have worked, I will not get too complacent and will wait and see if it is a permanent fix. Meanwhile thank you to everyone who contributed to my query for taking the time and trouble to help. For anyone struggling with this problem there are additional suggestions on the site so it is worth a visit. Many Thanks, bigfooted

bigfooted 17:32 05 Sep 2014
Answer

Back again but hopefully problem solved. I was directed to a site called Tipsandtricksforum.com which provided a selection of command prompts to solve this problem. I was lucky in that the first suggestion worked for me and whilst I do not know what actually caused the problem , I have got rid of it. The fix that worked for me was; Start the system with a Win7 repair CD inserted and select safe mode with command prompt' Enter BootRec.exe/fixmbr Press enter. This worked for me but there are other options to try, again with CD inserted and in command prompt mode, Enter BootRec.exe/FixBoot or Enter BootRec.exe/ScanOS or Enter BootRec.exe/RebuildBcd

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires