Win8 Start Button Missing on Lenovo G700

Alex at Langar 17:16 29 Dec 2013

getting VERY fed up. Can't find stuff on windows 8 on our lenovo g700 laptop. Even bought "Windows 8.1 for Seniors" by Michael Price yesterday, at a cost of £10 to try and get on, but everything from that book we try is not reflected on the laptop, so we fall at the first hurdle every time.

Just to be clear, I am a retired teacher, been using computers for over 30 years, so am a very confident and experienced computer user - I'm to to uch-typing this, for example, but I still can't get anywhere with this Lenovo/Wiindows 8 combination. Again, to be clear, we are completely new to Win 8, (but have progressed through XP, Vista and Win7. Yes I know that Win 8 takes things in a totally new direction, (largely due to Microsoft's desire to cash in on the tablet/touch-screen market), but so far we are finding 8 very, very user-unfriendly.

Page 11 of the above book says "Which Release is Installed?". Seemed sensible to check that first. It says " Press WinKey + Break key or right click the Start button and click System to display the Properties" NOPE TO ALL OF THAT!!!!!!!!! The WinKey + Break is either ignored or, if in the Start screen just scrolls the screen sideways. on So use the Start button, right? Where? No sign of it at bottom left of task bar or anywhere else.

Page 23, (and others), of this book clearly illustrate the start icon at bottom left on the taskbar, but it's not there on this machine. No we haven't messed with the start-up settings. The laptop was a Christmas present for my wife. So it was only powered up for the first time two days ago. Help.

Alex at Langar 15:12 30 Dec 2013

Hi Jockie1e and Lazarus The Second, Thank you both very much for responding so quickly and for your help, much appreciated.

Jockie1e: as you've then spotted, I wasn't sure what version of Win8 I'd got, but couldn't check via the "Start/WinLogo" button because neither were there! That in turn implied that it was 8, not 8.1 I'd got .... but I didn't know that and couldn't find out! I've now discovered PC Info from the Charms gets me that info via a different route, but the book I bought didn't say to do it that way, and when you're struggling to get to grips it doesn't seem to matter how experienced you are - or is that just me?!!

Ok, next, Google has found for me that Windows Update doesn't auto-fetch new versions, I have to go to Windows Store apparently if I want 8.1 (for free. So question - do I want 8.1 or best to stick to 8? With WinXP and earlier, it was always yes to such a question, but then came the Vista fiasco!

Thank you also for pointing me towards "Shell". I'd never heard of this. Could you expand a little on your comment "All programs is not as good as the W/7 version but certainly better than the W/8.1 version.", please? For example, it would seem that if I did go for 8.1 that would be even more of a reason to get Shell. Yes/No?

Lazarus The Second: I've got the "Dummies" ebook now. Only read a little of it so far, but already I've acquired the concept I lacked before - namely that the Start screen does actually control things, not just display stuff. I also like its description of users being either consumers or creators. As a user in the latter group now I understand better why I couldn't use Win8 intuitively and so found it most unfriendly.

Both: I'm finding the pop-ups in the corners to be erratic rather than consistent in appearing. I have, however, just discovered that the Start screen pop-up at bottom left only seems to appear if the pointer is EXACTLY in the corner. Just now I had the pointer in the corner, but some 5 or 6mm, (no more - and definitely within the Taskbar area), above the precise corner, with the result that nothing appeared. Is that right? If so it's ridiculously sensitive, IMHO!

I've a feeling I'll be back here with further queries before too long, but for the moment, thanks again. Will pop back to see what you say.

rdave13 16:27 30 Dec 2013

Take the mouse cursor as if it is going beyond the corners.

Alex at Langar 16:36 30 Dec 2013

Thanks for that, rdave13.

Alex at Langar 16:50 30 Dec 2013

I knew I'd be back, but didn't think it would be quite so soon!

Is there a quick and easy way to get into my folders and files, in other words into Windows Explorer?

So far my long-winded :-( workaround is to go: 1. Go to Desktop 2. Charms -> Settings 3. Control Panel -> Open Control Panel window 4. Use Up/Back arrow twice to get to Desktop window 5. Select from Documents, Music etc. down the left-hand side.

Pathetic effort on my part, I know, but I'm getting tired now, so I'm going to retreat behind my usual "I'm 69 you know" excuse ;-)

Secret-Squirrel 17:22 30 Dec 2013

"Is there a quick and easy way to get into my folders and files, in other words into Windows Explorer?"

Yes, install Classic Shell as suggested by Jock1e which will add back the familiar Start button to the Windows Desktop. You'll then have easy access again to your documents, Computer, Control Panel, and programs etc. There's a tutorial here.

rdave13 17:36 30 Dec 2013

Mouse pointer lower left corner and right click start icon. It's called file explorer there.

sharpamat 09:01 14 Jan 2014

My advice would be to ensure you have created recovery media. Then update to 8.1

This will then give you some form of menu ( bottom left in desktop screen ) Use the mouse curser over it and left click will display many things you will recognise. Inc. the on/off menu( I found a usb mouse made this easier £10 but ensure it comes with battery's ) I did not feel it worthwhile to install software to get a classic start menu As for your comment on the book these refer to 8.1 not 8

I agree personally 8 is the worse Op system I have used from Microsoft and posted an item this week on this section of the site which may interest you

sharpamat 09:04 14 Jan 2014

My advice would be to ensure you have created recovery media. Then update to 8.1

This will then give you some form of menu ( bottom left in desktop screen ) Use the mouse curser over it and left click will display many things you will recognise. Inc. the on/off menu( I found a usb mouse made this easier £10 but ensure it comes with battery's ) I did not feel it worthwhile to install software to get a classic start menu As for your comment on the book these refer to 8.1 not 8

I agree personally 8 is the worse Op system I have used from Microsoft and posted an item this week on this section of the site which may interest you

sharpamat 09:05 14 Jan 2014

Sorry for double post

Alex at Langar 17:57 14 Jan 2014

Thank you to moseswindowsgeek and sharpamat - much appreciated.

I've now tried three times to upgrade to 8.1 (after backing up of course!). Each time it's got as far as the point at which it says it will be rebooting the machine several times. It does this, then falls over, freezing the laptop so that nothing works, won't reboot, nothing. Each time the only way forward has been to take out the battery, book using mains power, then put battery back, at which point it says the upgrade was not successful and then says it is reverting to previous version of system - which it does successfully, resulting in me once again able to use all functions, apps of the laptop - UNDER WIN8, NOT 8.1!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires