Win7 SP1 Update Failure

jimforrest 06:53 19 Feb 2015
Answered

This isn't for me, it's for my neighbour. He asked me to look at his comp after he'd carried out an 'as delivered' cleanup. Everything was fine until it downloaded the SP1 update. Once downloaded it spends ages installing it, restarts, configures it, and fails! It then spends ages reverting the settings.

I looked on the 'net for an answer but quite frankly didn't understand the solutions. Does he need SP1 and, if yes, is there a way of loading it?

onthelimit1 08:49 19 Feb 2015

Looks like an In Place Upgrade may be the answer.

chub_tor 17:35 19 Feb 2015

Have you looked at the Microsoft Advice on how to fix problems with the installation of SP1 for Win 7?

lotvic 21:01 19 Feb 2015
Answer

I recall having problems with sp1. I had to download and install sp1 from a dvd and install KB2454826 before I got it to install without problems. I followed the instructions on ClickHere

Before installing SP1 from Microsoft Download Center, you need to install Windows Update KB2454826 from Windows Update if it is not already installed. If you install the service pack from the Microsoft Download Center and do not install Windows Update KB245862, you could encounter a Stop error in Windows in rare cases.

Windows Update KB2454826 will automatically be installed when you install the service pack by using Windows Update. However, Windows Update KB2454826 is not automatically installed when you install the service pack from the Microsoft Download Center.

jimforrest 14:20 20 Feb 2015

Thanks lotvic - did it via Windows Update.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?