Win7 is good, but....

[email protected] 16:55 29 Nov 2010

a PITA just lately.
Problem 1: Is there one box/tick somewhere which will allow me to do what I want with my own computer?
I am really tired of being told "You don't have permission/You don't have rights/You don't have access" yudda yudda. I know it's for safety but it's my computer and I am the only one to use it, so where can I switch all these warnings/blockages off? I have 3 HDD's and C seems fine but I just can't get access to delete some old folders on one of the others.
Problem 2: I have an Epson Photo R300 which I want to run in XP mode. The driver won't install "because you have a configuration problem"??? Shame it doesn't go any further than that!
As I have already tried to install the software some time ago I thought maybe the driver is in the driver cache and needs to be removed first. Where's the driver cache and does it have a new name?
Maybe I need to tick the "show all files/folders" box but I need to know where that is and if I am denied access, how do I get it?
Thanks.

BurrWalnut 19:17 29 Nov 2010

Here is a little bit of help that will make Windows 7 more palatable to you.

1. There are a number of options/settings that can be changed regarding access:
A. To change the way UAC prompts you, go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > User Accounts > Change UAC settings and move the slider down/up. To turn it off completely, move it to the bottom and restart the computer.
B. To change the way Action Center notifies you, go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Action Center > Change Action Center settings in the left pane. The settings apply to Updates, Internet, Firewall, UAC and Malware.
C. To take ownership with full permissions on a complete drive, click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories and right-click Command Prompt, then ‘Run as Administrator’. Type these two commands, each followed by the Enter key, then close the Command Prompt. In the example, I have used drive d: as the drive and JohnSmith as the user name, change both of them accordingly.
takeown /f d:
icacls d: /grant JohnSmith:F

2. To show hidden files and folders, go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Folder Options > View Tab click ‘Show hidden files, folders and drives’.

3. When drivers are not available or don’t apparently work, try those from a previous edition of Windows. Once you’ve found it (or downloaded it), put the older driver installation file on the Desktop, right-click it and select Properties > Compatibility Tab. Now choose to run the program in compatibility mode of a previous version of Windows then Apply > OK. Right-click the file and select the Run As Administrator option to install it.

[email protected] 19:45 29 Nov 2010

Many, many thanks BurrWalnut.
I've had it (Win7 64) a while now and really like it. It's just this last week when trying to free up some space and couldn't so I tried to re-install my printer - and couldn't, I began to get a bit fed up.
Thanks for all the steerage - much obliged :-)

KremmenUK 07:14 30 Nov 2010

From my experience (and after having used A, B & C from above) the one exception to the above rule seems to be Windows Installed programs and files.

If a file is registered to the Windows 'Trusted Installer' then nothing can get at it apart from Windows Installer.

The other 'ploy' that may be of help is to up the UAC by one notch when you find a stubborn file. I have again found from experience that with UAC totally off a file can be locked, even if you have 'taken ownership'.
If you up UAC then you may get a popup saying 'are you sure?' and this popup, with your approval, can at times allow you control.

[email protected] 09:07 30 Nov 2010

Thanks for that.
I tried the advice from BurrWalnut but no good.
I realise from what you say that the folder is indeed Windows Trusted as it is a trial beta installation of Win7 which I ran when the HDD was in my old XP computer.
I think I will remount the HDD back into my old computer as additional storage and see if I can just delete it using XP. I've really had enough of this permissions security stuff as it's just a time waster for me.

KremmenUK 09:45 30 Nov 2010

All in all I think it's worth sticking with Win7 as it is the future and XP support is diminishing.

As much as I liked XP I had to move on.

[email protected] 11:21 30 Nov 2010

I won't go back to XP as I like Win7 so much. Just as soon as I have cleared the old HDD of stuff I seem unable to do in Win7, I will put it back.
There should be some sort of learning centre for all these "permissions" in proper English and for us silver surfers LOL.
I'm obviously old school as I just can't get my head around the fact I paid for the OS - I installed the OS - and only I use the OS and I don't want it telling what I can and can't do. I want complete control like the old days :-)

a member 12:15 30 Nov 2010

complete control is a dangerous thing for anyone but an advanced user , the files have various degrees of security and several levels of permissions for very good reasons ,there are countless files that could (if deleted or altered) destroy an OS beyond practical recovery .
not to mention that if windows detects any alteration to any number of key system files it will remove your activation and request you reinstall a new valid activation key . a process that often fails and ends in a full new (fresh) reinstall. that said there are no files that cannot be altered or changed if you know what your doing .including files owned by "trusted installer" and "system"
we all like to think that we are up to date in our knowledge and that our PCs are allways well protected.but in the eventuality that a virus(for example) does infiltrate your pc it will have a field day "as you" as all permissions will have been removed or lowered .
my reccomendation is to set up a true admin account for when we need to do serious alterations etc to our PCs and a well protected user accounts for normal use .

[email protected] 13:11 30 Nov 2010

Hi merlinx. I take on board all you say and you are right of course and I agree there is a very good reason behind all the new security measures - but - when I install a 3rd HDD (ex XP) and want delete something I no longer need, I take umbrage at being told I don't have administrators rights to do so LOL. In this instance I am being over-protected in my opinion.
I have left all the "reports" as they were as I don't regard myself "up to date" in IT skills or this thread wouldn't be here.
Maybe my original request should have been:
Why do I have to keep clicking here and there to make my self administrator for different tasks when I am already the administrator, or in other words how do I make myself Permanent.
adminstrator.
Thanks for following the thread and offering advice.

a member 17:02 30 Nov 2010

A full Administrator account is created in 2 ways dependant on what version of windows 7 (or vista) you use . for windows 7 home premium or lower you open a command promt (as administrator and type or (copy and paste the next line without the ()
( net users Administrator /active )and click ENTER, you will get the successful confirmation .
you may also need to open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System double click on "FilterAdministratorToken"and make sure it is set to (0).
in windows versions above homePremium , ultimate etc. click on the start orb and type in the saerch bar at the bottom secpol.msc In the left list, choose "Local Policies", then "Security Options"
Set "Accounts: Administrator account status" to Enabled.
Set "User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account" to Disabled.
now ineither system you can log off and you will see a new account to log in to called, simply ,administrator ,log in and you will still have to go to control panal and user accounts to disable UAC .
your newaccount has permanent full administrator rights over all normal files folders and accounts .however you still will not be able (for safety and security) reasons to delete or alter system files .or any files or programs that are running ,if you get problems deleting or modifying such files simply use task manager to shut files down ,at which point you will be able to manipulate them although in some cases you will still have to go into thier properties /security and take ownership .
good luck and ....be careful

[email protected] 19:17 30 Nov 2010

Thanks merlinx, plenty to go on there.
The whole thing appears too in-depth just to delete some old files from a supplementary HDD but there you go.
Don't worry - I'll take care and thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

5 best 3D model websites

iPhone 8 vs iPhone X

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache