Win10 Mail & Map apps not working

RobbieBurns 12:04 04 Aug 2015

Upgraded from 8.1 and now Mail won't work in or out. After manual sync, 'up to date' message but no new mails. Have tried SFC scan, corrupt file found - second scan OK, so assume fixed. Also MAP app doesn't show maps, just blue background. Have tried switching off Norton in case of firewall issue, but made no difference. If no fix found, I'll have to revert to 8.1 and that would be a shame.(HP Core i3 laptop).

rdave13 12:42 04 Aug 2015

This link might not work properly, Microsoft community. So I'll quote a post,

Answer

Gabriel Aul Gabriel Aul replied on December 23, 2014See post history
Microsoft

Accomplishments

ReplyIn reply to RajithR's post on October 23, 2014

Try this workaround for problems where apps are not starting or are stuck at the splash screen:

1.Open an Elevated Powershell prompt by pressing the Windows Key, typing Powershell, then pressing Ctrl+Shift+Enter 2.Paste the following command into Powershell and execute it: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

It's for an earlier preview version of Windows 10 but worth a try if you're thinking of going back to 8.1 anyway.

RobbieBurns 12:51 04 Aug 2015

Thanks, Dave. That looked scary, but I tried it anyway. Immediate result was all in red and seems to say command can't be executed, probably due to installation being later version. Another question - do you know if I revert to 8.1, will 10 remain on HDD for re-install at later date?

RobbieBurns 14:29 04 Aug 2015

Well, blow me! After 3 frustrating days, MAIL app now decided to cooperate. No idea why, except that I accessed same account through Outlook App on my Android tablet. Will close this thread now and open new one re MAPS app. Thanks.

rdave13 17:08 04 Aug 2015

Glad mail is working. Check out the Store and search for Here Maps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone