Win10: How do I find out what is downloading?

Wendy 10:30 29 May 2017

I have 0.5 to 0.7mbps broadband speed, so anything using it is very noticeable. I have noticed that something is using the bandwidth quite a lot and I don't know what it is. Task Manager tells me the network is banging away, but I can't discover what is using it. I can check windows updates and my virus checker, but how do I know what else is using it? I have all my photos on a separate drive which is disconnected so it isn't Google putting them all on its drive. I would dearly like to stop this rogue program or whatever it is, but first I have to find it. any ideas?

alanrwood 10:40 29 May 2017

Search for a program called TCPView and run it. It shows all the internet connections in real time.

Forum Editor 11:03 29 May 2017

Moved to the Windows Help forum from Tech Helproom.

Secret-Squirrel 12:53 29 May 2017

Wendy, if you don't want to install any third-party software then Windows has a utility called "Resource Monitor" that will help identify what's causing the excessive network traffic:

Open Task Manager -> "Performance" tab -> "Open Resource Monitor" link at the bottom -> "Network" tab. Expand the "Network Activity" section then click the "Total (B/sec)" column-heading button to sort the busiest processes so they appear at the top of list. The name of the processes responsible appear on the left and hopefully you can identify the culprit.

Burn-it 22:55 29 May 2017

It may even be Windows updates since they are getting to be SILLY sizes unnecessarily. MS really need to revisit their update strategy rather rapidly or they are definitely going to lose a LOT of customers. I certainly would NOT advise people to use Windows over Linux unless they have a very good reason to.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires