Win Vista

ulrich 18:01 04 Jan 2008

Biggest Technology flop. I hope the FE doesn't read that.

Forum Editor 00:04 05 Jan 2008

as you put it, I hope I've fulfilled your expectation. Yes, I'm a supporter of Vista, in the same way that I was a supporter of Windows XP here, in the forum, when it was first launched. Way back then we had lots of threads from people who said they would never install XP - I particularly remember one regular forum user saying it would only be installed on his computer over his dead body. There was a very considerable anti-XP reaction, but I'm on record as saying then that within a couple of years we would all be using it.

I'm not saying the same about Vista because the circumstances surrounding its arrival are very different, and because it isn't the operating system it was originally intended to be, but that's another story entirely.

Vista has flaws, but they are outweighed - in my opinion - by its advantages. Some people say it slows their computers, but my experience is exactly the opposite. Some people say it raises security issues, but my experience is exactly the opposite - it's far more secure than WinXP was when it was a year old.

Like I said - we're all entitled to an opinion, and I wouldn't dream of trying to persuade anyone to run Vista if they prefer not to. All I ask is that you consider Vista objectively, rather than being tempted to repeat what you've heard at second or third hand. You haven't fallen into that trap, but many people have.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)