Win 8.1 driver check Win upgrade advisor

highside 08:26 06 Jan 2014

My Acer Z600 came with Win8, I took it to 8.1 some time ago no real problems but now I need to check drivers are all correct for 8.1. I tried to run Win 8.1 Upgrade Advisor retrospectively but it keeps telling me to run as administrator despite the fact that I am running it as administrator.Does that mean that it cannot run retrospectively?

If so What is the best way to check drivers (either free or paid) is there a trustworthy program which doesnt throw hundreds of misleading results at you.

Thanks for looking.

chub_tor 10:30 06 Jan 2014

If you feel that you need to update drivers the I find that Slimdrivers is as good as any. You can ignore any suggestions that you feel are unnecessary.

BRYNIT 10:56 06 Jan 2014

The first place I would look is the Acer web site CLICK HERE

conradwebster 07:27 07 Jan 2014

Apologies if this is too simple but I presume you are right clicking on the program and selecting run as administrator from the drop down menu? I don't know why this is necessary even if you are a system administrator. Also, I expect you have searched drivers, then individually updated each? I thought Windows would do this automatically if necessary but if all components are working why update as this is not a gaming desktop.

highside 12:25 07 Jan 2014

chub_tor, thanks for that link used it and happy with that site, it found several Realtec drivers out of date and showed the versions I had and the latest with dates.

BRYNIT gave up with Acer they show the latest USB3 driver for my Acer but I cant open it because the old one has to be uninstalled first by Add/Remove programs but it does not appear in add/remove programs and they haven't so far replied to my email.

conradwebster You are no doubt right but my experience is that everything doesn't get done automatically. I am desperately trying whatever I can due to a USB3 hub not recognising USB3 devices (as discussed in techforum0 Came here in case it might be a Win8.1 problem. Just trying to get it all to work as fast as possible with my D800 Nikon, so no its not a gaming machine but it does have USB3 which works fine for individual USB devices but the hub only sees them on odd power up occasions. Taking it for a test today in the retail outlet workshop.

Thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?