Win 8 Refresh killed my email

highside 18:14 01 Jun 2013

It may be my fault for using it but many experts & the program itself said that Refresh in Win 8 would not remove personal files. It removed many of my programs which I have now reinstalled but it also removed Windows Live Essentials and destroyed my emails dating back a very long time including all my contacts. Feel very angry about this as the descriptions of Refresh give the impression that its a very non aggressive program. Tried a recovery freebie but it reported that most of my stuff is unrecoverable.About three of 800 can be read. Any comment please? Win 8 64 bit Win Live Mail pop3

highside 18:17 01 Jun 2013

ps it also takes System Restore back to square one with no restore points except the new one it creates at the time it operates.

highside 10:17 02 Jun 2013

Thanks for replying, it is the least aggressive of the three options and it does say some programs will be removed but no files etc. So I spent a whole day reinstalling everything. I was just taken aback that it destroyed years of email activity. Everything else was backed up but this took me by surprise.

I did reinstall WLE and I can sign in with my original password and account but there are no emails or contacts just like starting from new.

Thanks

highside 11:04 02 Jun 2013

Will do thanks for your help. I am sure I have reinstalled WLE before with no bother.

highside 07:42 06 Jun 2013

Thanks for the Nudge, I posted as you suggested and was given the answer by "Secret-Squirrel". Searched PC for .eml and the result was 3000 emails in HEX number form and they opened as normal emails when dragged to a WLM folder. Closed & thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?