win 7 home premium upgrade reinstall

Paulivo 20:48 04 Oct 2010

I need to reinstall & was wondering if i have to install Xp first or is there a way of just using the upgrade disc

a member 21:19 04 Oct 2010

icrosoft themselves do not reccomend trying to upgrade in the normal way ,they do an excellent printable tutorial of how to upgrade to windows 7 from XP click here
hope it helps.

Paulivo 23:45 04 Oct 2010

I dont want to upgrade to win 7, I already have it installed, but due to various problems i want to do a fresh reinstall, and was wondering if i could just put the upgrade disc in, or if i had to install xp and then use the win 7 upgrade disc.

Paulivo 23:54 04 Oct 2010

Ok I have now have found the possible answer to this problem, ad incase anyone may find this a help
heres a link.
click here

a member 08:27 05 Oct 2010

if you had taken the trouble to actually look at the microsoft page I linked ,you would have read that their instructions were how to clean install win 7 ,even a upgrade version .they discovered major problem with upgrading from winXP to win7 so they allow users to clean install ,thhe full instructions were there in PDF , if you ha taken the time to look .

Paulivo 15:36 05 Oct 2010

Merlinx I did read your link and i have read it again and I cannot find the answer there.
It states for a custom install
01."With your computer on and windows XP running"
06."Choose the partition containing xp"
As i pointed out I do not have XP on my PC, I have Windows 7 hp upgrade & I wanted to save the time installing Xp just to have the upgrade disc overwrite it.

kristain 07:15 11 Oct 2010

first you need to install XP then upgrade CD.

Paulivo 11:06 12 Oct 2010

All i had to do in the end was put the win 7 home update disc in and follow the prompts to install a fresh installation.Interestingly when i originally installed this I had many problems with trying to get 5.1 sound to work.But this time it seems to have sorted this out.

T0SH 19:27 18 Oct 2010

There is no upgrade path from Windows XP directly to Windows 7 this is only possible via an upgrade to Windows Vista first

This is how Microsoft say to do it using the "Custom" option which does a clean install which is destructive so be sure your data is backed up

click here

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?