Win 7 defragmenter

VCR97 19:16 10 May 2014
Answered

I discovered that the defrag program is scheduled to run at 0100 on Wednesday. My computer is never on at 0100 on any day so when, if ever, does it defrag?

john bunyan 19:46 10 May 2014

VCR97

I think you can alter the time setting, but I use the free Auslogics DiscDefrag, which is far quicker. An alternative is Defrggler from the same stable as CCleaner.

john bunyan 19:48 10 May 2014

Forgot link: Disc Defrag

BRYNIT 21:41 10 May 2014

If you go into Task Manager you will find several program that have an 1am run time most I have never run or even realised they were there. If you want to auto run them just change the time/date.

Secret-Squirrel 08:54 11 May 2014

"My computer is never on at 0100 on any day so when, if ever, does it defrag?"

Go to "Computer" -> right-click your C: drive -> Properties -> "Tools" tab -> "Defragmentation" button. Look in the "Current Status" section and you'll probably find that the defragmenter has actually been run when the PC was switched on and the drives are 0% fragmented - like this. In the unlikely event that things don't look that way then click the "Configure Schedule" button and modify the time and day to your liking.

alanrwood 11:03 11 May 2014

You can usually change the time and various other settings in the Windows Scheduler.

Secret-Squirrel 12:42 11 May 2014

Alan, if you mean the Task Scheduler then that's an overly complicated way of changing the defrag settings. It's much easier to use the "Configure Schedule" button I mentioned which does exactly the same job.

wee eddie 14:05 11 May 2014
Answer

Agree with SS.

I am also fairly certain that, should the PC not be turned on at the designated time, the function runs at the next available moment that the PC is turned on

VCR97 19:45 12 May 2014

Thanks all. Sorry not to reply sooner but the site was unbearable. Several useful answers, so I've ticked the last answer just to close the thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?