win 7 back fails to complete

Col45 20:50 01 Oct 2010

Any clues, each time try do schedule back up it fails to complete. Repeatedly requires first dvd subsequent attempts and says unable to write to dvd. driving me bonkers.

chub_tor 22:11 01 Oct 2010

Have you tried a regular DVD in the drive to see if the drive is working correctly? Have you tried a different brand of blank DVD?

Col45 22:29 01 Oct 2010

have tried several dvd in drive, have checked drive writing by doing sample video. sat 4 ages watching back up process only for it to say again back up failed to sucessfully complete. urrrgh maybe I should revert to norton with back up settings as before.

gengiscant 09:15 02 Oct 2010

Why backup to DVD as opposed to an external HDD?

PCS3657 17:38 12 Oct 2010

Hello

(A). Try these steps.
1. You might try turning off your anti-virus and malware protection temporarily while performing the backup.
2. You can also try turning off the User Account Control while backing up.
3. I suggest logging in as the Administrator to test the backup function.

(B). Doing a schedule backup, the below requirment is needed:
1. The computer is running normally in schedule time
2. The backup files do not be used by other process or program
3. The power state is normal
4. The schedule backup user has full permission to perform backup

So, I think the best way of schedule backup files is schedule a fixed time every day or every week to manually backup the files on the computer.

(C).Check a drive for errors

You can solve some computer problems by checking a drive or drives for errors. For example, you can check your computer's primary hard disk to fix some performance issues, or you can check an external hard drive if it's not working properly.
1.Open Computer by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Computer.
2.Right-click the drive that you want to check, and then click Properties.
3.Click the Tools tab, and then, under Error-checking, click Check now. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
To automatically repair problems with files and folders that the scan detects, select Automatically fix file system errors. Otherwise, the disk check will report problems but not fix them.
To perform a thorough check, select Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. This scan attempts to find and repair physical errors on the drive itself, and it can take much longer to complete.
To check for both file errors and physical errors, select both Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.
4.Click Start.

"Check a drive for errors"
click here

(D).Perform SFC scan and check if it helps.
Use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to determine which file is causing the issue, and then replace the file. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER: sfc /scannow
The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

“How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7”
click here

Hope it helps
Manjeet
Bangalore

KremmenUK 12:25 15 Oct 2010

Windows 7 built in backup is painfully slow. I'm backing up to USB 2.0 external HDD and that can take a few hours.

I fully agree with the advice above and ditch writing to DVD as that probably will take even longer and get an external HDD.

My backup can take over 2 hours which includes some pre-specified folders plus the C:\ image that it does automatically.

I suspect your backup is not hanging but is just taking so long writing to DVD it just appears that way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone