Will Vista Upgrade with a new PC work on any XP PC

FooAtari 03:45 08 Jan 2007

I have just bought a laptop with XP Media Centre which qualifies for the Express Vista Upgrade to Vista Premium

I am also looking at getting a new PC, and was planning on building my own. I can get XP MCE for around £50 I think, or Vista Premium will cost me what, £200?

My question is this, if anyone knows. I am not to bothered about having Vista on the laptop, so would the Vista Upgrade work on any legitimate copy of XP Media Centre? I don't think there is anyway MS could tie the upgrade disc to a particular XP product key, so I think this would work, giving me a way to build my own PC but also get Vista on it at a low cost.

Forum Editor 10:50 08 Jan 2007

why it shouldn't work. There's only one way to find out.

Genius1 11:36 15 Jan 2007

I'm not sure, but when redeeming the Vista Upgrade voucher online with the laptop manufacturer, you will probably have to enter your COA number (product key for XP).

The laptop manufacturer may use this to restrict installation of the Vista product they send you to your laptop.

This may not be the case, but as the FE says, there is only one way to find out - try installing the upgrade on your new build PC BEFORE the laptop - if it doesn't work, you can always install it on the laptop as you have never installed the upgrade before.

Genius1 19:40 15 Jan 2007

Presumably Vista wouldn't even start to install on the laptop if the manufacturer has restricted it to their machines. Activation therefore may not be a problem.

FooAtari - don't forget that this is all guesswork though. An email to Microsoft may clear this up better.

FooAtari 20:10 15 Jan 2007

Thanks for the advise guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?