Why is Vista hiding files from me ????

OhFFS 10:50 23 Dec 2008

When I run AVG virus scan I ca see that it is scanning Content ie Chx..../????.jpeg etc.

However, when I search through Windows explorer, these files dont exist.

I have allowed "show hidden files", I have clicked on every folder in Users, windows, microsoft.

I am the administrator so should be able to see everything, i thought!!

I have 3 account set up, Admin and 2 others. Only 1 of the others shows any content in the Content ie folders, the Admin and user 2 are empty, but AVG says they're not as it is scanning the files.

I'm confused??

Why cant I see any JPEGs, GIFs or TIFFs in temporary internet folders and why can AVG see folders that I cant?

Any help greatly appreciated. I'm begginning to Hate Vista!!!

brundle 11:54 23 Dec 2008

Get FreeCommander and tick Show Hidden Files and Show System Files in options. click here

OhFFS 12:00 23 Dec 2008

Thanks Brundle, I'll try freecommander when I get home.

As I have ticked all the SHOW ... options in Vista though should I not be able to see them without FreeCommander?
Anyway, thanks for the advice I'll give it a go later and let you know how I get on.

brundle 13:07 23 Dec 2008

There seem to be two tiers to hidden folders and files in Vista, with a selection of them made totally invisible to Windows Explorer. I can understand it from the standpoint of keeping people from casually or accidentally browsing through system folders etc, but it is a bit of a pain if you're used to being able to access everything as you can in previous version of Windows.

OhFFS 13:44 23 Dec 2008

Thanks for that explanation Brundle, will have a go with FreeC tonight and look for the really hidden files.

Vista is a pain, what damage could I do in the Content ie files?

Have a great Xmas

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

Best Free Video Tutorials for Drawing and Painting

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie