Why has my RAM gone down?

CurlyWhirly 21:05 11 Jan 2009

I'm running the 32-bit version of Vista Home Premium and I know about the limits of 32-bit memory addressing and the situation where Windows can only see around 3.5 GB due to Windows keeping around 512 MB in reserve for the operating system.

When I first installed Vista, it was showing around 3 GB in the Windows Task Manager.

There's also an additional 512 MB being used in my graphics card leaving around 512 MB for the reserve that I've just mentioned.

Now there's only around 2.5 GB showing in Windows Task Manager (below)

click here

Anyone know where the missing 512 MB went?

Cheers.

Pine Man 08:29 12 Jan 2009

What does it show at Control Panel/System?

CurlyWhirly 11:50 12 Jan 2009

It shows 4 GB in the System section but in Windows Task Manager it only says 2.5 GB where as it used to say 3 GB before!

Perhaps it's nothing to worry about although a little strange.

Pine Man 14:49 12 Jan 2009

I have 4GB fitted and only 3GB is utilised. Task Manager shows my RAM as 3069MB.

I must confess I don't know why yours should be showing less than it used to unless you have fitted any recent card/s that contain RAM?

CurlyWhirly 14:59 12 Jan 2009

"I must confess I don't know why yours should be showing less than it used to unless you have fitted any recent card/s that contain RAM?"
----------------------------------------------------
The only thing that I've fitted to the PC (apart from a DVD writer) is click here but it doesn't come with any memory as far as I know.

It must be the cause, as come to think of it, the missing 512 MB only came about since fitting it a few days ago!

Pine Man 15:57 12 Jan 2009

I have read a few items that do suggest that sound cards can have memory fitted but I'm not sure how reliable they are. If they are correct then that is probably the answer.

Jim_F 19:55 12 Jan 2009

Some of the Creative cards have onboard memory but not the extreme audio. It does reserve memory for Soundfonts - the samples used for midi playback - but this is relatively small (in the order of a few Mb). It will also be using IO space above 2Gb which is more likely to be the reason your memory is suffering.

AL47 21:36 12 Jan 2009

task manager shows mine as 3325

why so different,

i use vista 32 too

Jim_F 15:02 13 Jan 2009

Hi AL47,

Just out of interest - do you have an X-Fi ? - as this is what seemed to make the difference.

CurlyWhirly 16:05 13 Jan 2009

In a continuation of the missing memory saga LOL

I bought this PC from ZooStorm around a fortnight ago.

There was no Vista CD/DVD supplied and, as I don't like the idea, the other day I bought a OEM version of 64-bit Vista Home Premium and I installed it last night.

Anyway, Windows Task Manager is still showing the 2.5 GB limit and the 32-bit memory addressing limitation has now gone!

click here

click here

click here

In the second screenshot, my graphics card seems to be grabbing 1 GB of system RAM but that still doesn't explain what happened to the missing 512 MB i.e. if you add up the 2.5 GB showing in WTM and add it to the 1 GB that my graphics card claims, it still leaves 512 MB unaccounted for.

The 2.5 GB limit is also shown in the 3rd screenshot on the NOD32 status screen.

Very, very weird.

AL47 20:25 15 Jan 2009

no, no x-fi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?