White noise after shutdown + other shutdown probs

PaulPow 14:27 24 Sep 2015

Dear all,

My Asus Pro P55VA-SO028D (Intel Core i5-3210M, 8 GB RAM) does not shutdown properly under Windows and Linux. Furthermore I can't wake the computer from sleep-mode.

When I try to shut down Windows, the Laptop pretends to shut down, but it does not turn off completely. The screen turns black (as expected), but then I hear a strange noise (white noise - quite loud (most likely out of the speakers)).

The computer does not react if I press the power key again and so I have to hold it for 5 seconds until the PC turns off completely.

Something similar is happening when I try to shut down with Ubuntu. Here I see the shutdown screen with its 5 dots, but before the last dot turns red, the PC gets stuck.

Furthermore I can't wake the PC from sleep mode in Windows. Once it fell asleep it's not reacting to anything and I have to turn it off by pressing the power-key for 5 seconds.

Before that I noticed that - even though I checked the energy options - the computer does not go into sleep-mode when closing it. Once I forgot this and put it into my backpack. When I noticed it a few hours later the computer was quite warm and seemed to be in sleep mode. I then tried to push the power-key for 5secs but there was no reaction so I had no other option than - OMG - taking out the battery. Since then this error occurs.

I installed Windows 8.1 Pro as well as Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS with Dual Boot option (using the Linux Boot Manager).

PS: This might be important as well: Restarting works with Windows and Ubuntu. Hibernate Mode in Windows leads to the same result as shutting it down (black screen + white noise)

I would be thankful for any advice, since I'm absolutely clueless what might cause this error. I didn't find any similar threads in any forum.

Best Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?