When is an administrator NOT an administrator?

Fateful Shadow 17:38 08 Feb 2007

When they're using Vista =P

I don't understand it... I've set myself to be admin, but whenever I try to uninstall two unwated programs it says that 'The Administrator has set restrictions' and the uninstallation cancels.

There have been a few other occurences where the 'administrator' can only carry out certain things.

Has this got something to do with UAC?

Thanks =]

anskyber 19:03 08 Feb 2007

Yes. And there are various rights or otherwise which can be assigned through the control panel accounts section.

It's easier to use the default Admin account to do things like add/remove programs.

Fateful Shadow 10:07 09 Feb 2007

Thanks anskyber.

So how would I access the defualt admin account? I can't see it in the users section and it doesn't give me the option to log on as anyone other than myself at startup.

anskyber 11:08 09 Feb 2007

OK. With Vista it appears that the answer is it all depends on various things including the version you have. I have Home Premium but I think you may have ultimate which has different features for UAC.

When first installing Vista an account is set up which has administrator rights. It is possible to add Admin accounts in the create new user account section. If you have upgraded the previous passwords should have been carried over if you set any. Perhaps try setting up a new Admin account first to see if your problem goes away.

To confuse things further the "real" Administrator account is disabled by default. An exception is if you upgrade from XP and like me the Administrator was the only active Administrator account, in that situation it remains enabled.

Vista, for security reasons does not like you using the hidden Admin account but access is possible. If you are desperate to do so type cmd in the search box of the start area, press Ctrl+Shift+Enter, agree the next UAC prompt and enter the following command

net user administrator /active:yes

When you have finished do the same again but swap yes for no. Note the space after administrator.

This is all new ground to me but the advice I have given is taken direct from a MS publication.

anskyber 11:13 09 Feb 2007

Vista has a new facility to find out which rights you have,it's called Whoami. (Who am I?)

To get to it type whoami /priv fo list in a command prompt window.

Fateful Shadow 12:09 09 Feb 2007

Thanks again anskyber. Shall try that when I get home =]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?