What was wrong with Vista.

antony.dandrea 18:51 30 Oct 2008

Can someone pleez tell me why ppl dislike the Vista. Cos from what i have seen, i can do what its bought to do.

interzone55 21:58 30 Oct 2008

There's many, many things wrong with Vista, but as you say, for most people it does just what's needed of it.

Let's start with the biggest problem for me - the User Access Control - a feature that stops all operations and ask you if you're sure you know what you're doing. All you need to click is yes & you've broken you're computer, it's an utterly pointless intrusion.

Then there's the bloat - why should my dual core PC with 2gb of RAM be slower than my 5 year old Athlon PC with only 1gb of RAM.

Thirdly, the stupidly slow file copying, it sometimes takes 1/2 an hour to shift a couple of hundred megabytes of files across to my backup drive, XP will do the same job in about a minute.

I'm sure others will chip in with more when they've finished lynching Radio 2 presenters...

Forum Editor 22:52 30 Oct 2008

From Speakers Corner.

Forum Editor 22:57 30 Oct 2008

What on earth makes you think that you'll break your computer if you click 'yes' when the UAC asks if you want to proceed?

If you think that UAC is "an utterly pointless intrusion" you've obviously rather missed the point.

There were many, many things wrong with Windows XP when it was in the first phase of its life, and there were many, many things wrong with Windows 98, and Windows 95, too.

FatboySlim71 23:11 30 Oct 2008

If UAC bothers you that much you can now use this program,
click here

The Norton Labs tool is very handy for when you are running frequently used/run programs that you know are safe, and you do not need prompted to allow to run each time you run that program.

Basically with the Norton Labs tool a little UAC like window will appear and it will ask you "A program needs permission to run" if you tick the box for "don't ask me again" and then click the yes tab, that program will run next time without the UAC prompt.

Other programs will still display the UAC like prompt need permission to run window.

FatboySlim71 23:22 30 Oct 2008

Also, I read on here the other week that the time that has passed since Vista was released, more people are using Vista now than at the same time with XP.

Pine Man 09:02 31 Oct 2008

I started with Microsoft using Windows 3.11 & DOS 6.22. I then moved to Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows XP and now Windows Vista.

Each time I moved it was a steep learning experience but turned out to be better. Up until Vista. Vista is NOT better it's the BEST BY FAR of all of them.

People whinge about UAC but if you are new to computers it could be a life saver. If you are fairly long in the tooth with a bit of experience like me you turn it off and tread carefully.

FatboySlim71 09:34 31 Oct 2008

"People whinge about UAC but if you are new to computers it could be a life saver"

I can remember when I got my first ever PC back in 2003, you have got to remember I had never used or had any experience of Windows at all until then. I can remember struggling with XP has I found it not very user friendly, but I learned has I went on and also by the help of people on this forum (thank you).

I just wish I had Vista back then has I find its a hell of a lot more user friendly than XP was for me.

A friend of mine has just got a computer with Vista installed and he tells me that he is surprised how quickly he has picked things up and found his way around it.

UAC has never particulary bothered me, but I now use the program I mention above in my link, this IMO allows every user to have UAC not working for common and well used programs that you know are safe, and then the unfamiliar or unsafe programs to then display the UAC like window.

My advice is if you are getting sick of UAC, then download the program in my above post and give it a try, just remember to tick the box for "don't ask again" for programs that you either know are safe or are programs you run often. Doing this allows total control over what UAC like prompts you see.

sunnystaines 10:02 31 Oct 2008

vista has it faults [UAC, drivers, bloat etc] and needs tweaking by MS in some area's but overall not too bad.

I feel a lot of bad press comes from people who put or bought computers that were under powered for vista needs at least 2gb ram.

people who like me tried the only beta and thought it was dreadful. I upgraded to vista 6 months ago and it has greatly improved since the beta days.

people who have not tried vista long enough it takes a while to get used to.

antony.dandrea 10:17 31 Oct 2008

I think the real problem is that people are not used to the new features of Vista. And becasue they struggle with it, they say its bad.

ventanas 10:41 31 Oct 2008

I just can't see where alan14 is coming from. I've been using Vista on a number of machines for more than 18 months, and as far as I'm concerned, it's the best OS Microsoft have put out to date. (And I go back to CP/M) The main problem I can see from threads on this forum is that people have tried to use it before learning how it works. Buy a book and read it first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone