What Vista for me?

happyhotspur 10:24 08 Feb 2007

I have a new computer with the following an AMD Athlon 64 3500 (AM2 socket) with 1024 Ram 160 hard drive and a 512mb GeForce 660 PCI graphics card. I use my PC for internet browsing, home videos, digital photos, and a bit of the usual home financing and wordprocessing.

My question is what is the best upgrade option to go for Home Basic or Home Premium. I have an upgrade offer through my new computer and can get the basic for £26 with p&p and the premium for £43, any advice

please

Kate B 10:31 08 Feb 2007

Basic won't give you the lovely Aero interface - which is one of the reasons for upgrading.

Forum Editor 11:31 08 Feb 2007

you should opt for the Home premium version, you'll be glad you did.

Kate B 11:55 08 Feb 2007

Music to my ears ;-)

happyhotspur 12:12 08 Feb 2007

Hi Kate B

I'll take your advice and go for the premium

many thanks

Totally-braindead 12:18 08 Feb 2007

Heres a rough summary of the differences click here as you can see Vista Basic hasn't got the Aero interface or the Media part of it either including DVD maker which may or may not interest you.
To be honest I think that 99% of people who have already had a computer running XP would be very disappointed if they got the Basic Edition as the features that they will most likely want are only on the Premium Edition.
Therefore I agree with the others get the Premium Edition and I think you should wait until some of the glitches are worked out and their are drivers available for all your bits.

Kate B 12:46 08 Feb 2007

Enjoy! I'd run the upgrade advisor just to make sure there are no obvious problems with any of your hardware but - barring a slight issue with my RAID setup - I've had no problems and so far have been able to install all my hardware and favourite programs.

happyhotspur 13:00 08 Feb 2007

I have run the upgrade advisor and they suggest that Home Basic would be best but that they may be a problem with my NERO Vision Express 2 & Power DVD. But to be honest I don't use either of these programs for burning my DVI rilsm to DVD anyway, so I think I will go with premium.

But what clitches are there I should be worried about.

Totally-braindead 13:08 08 Feb 2007

happyhotspur have a read through the threads in the Vista Forum, the main problems so far seem to be no Nvidia SLI driver - doesn't affect you have no SLI, some drivers not ready for printers and scanners, that sort of thing, oh and RAID problems as Kate B mentioned.
There are some software problems as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone