What should I get, and other questions

CJHorn85 20:13 14 Oct 2007

I have recently bought myself a new computer, and I am trying to decide what OS to get.

My spec is below:

E6850 Intel 3.00Ghz dual core
4Gb RAM
8800GTS 640Mb Nvidia graphics card
500Gb hard drive
ASUS P5K motherboard.

I am currently using Windows XP Media Centre Edition. I have been told if I update to a 64bit version of windows the computer should acknowledge my full 4Gb RAM, as right now it is only showing 3.25Gb Can someone tell me if this is true.

Because I need a 64bit OS, I am trying to decide whether to go with Vista or XP. Can someone tell me if my computer will handle Vista. I should think of no reason why not, but just incase. Also, if I do go for Vista, what edition? Home Premium or Ultimate? Is there really much difference between the 2? I can afford either or, but no point in paying the extra if Im hardly going to notice any difference.

Finally, I notice you can buy the OEM versions, which is significantly cheaper. I am a comfortable computer user (As in, I know my way around, and know how to work things. Not a computer programmer whizz kind though!) so is it worth getting an OEM version? Or am I safer to pay the full price? Or is that more of a judgment call? Can someone please explain to me what the OEM versions are??

I know theres quite a few questions here, but I just want to make sure I buy the right OS, and if possible spend as little money as possible, by buying the OEM versions or something

Thanks for everyones help!

skidzy 20:25 14 Oct 2007

You are correct,a 64bit system should recognise your 4Gb of ram in Vista.click here also read the links.

I would guess Home premium would be ok for you,however ive not played with the Ultimate version yet.

Vista OEM Licensing Explained; click here

The difference between OEM and Retail click here

anskyber 08:38 15 Oct 2007

At the moment 64bit vista drivers are more scarce than the 32 bit. Vista 64 bit OS also will not allow unsigned drivers (unlike the 32 bit)

It might be worth checking therefore if any critical bits like your printer have 64bit drivers.

i had 4 gb on 32 bit and it all showed, no re mapping or bios tweeks needed. there are many 64 driver problems around and nvidia are just about getting the 32 bit ones right. i had 4x 6400 1 gb sticks on an asus m2n sli, dual channel with an amd dual core and an 8800 gts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?