What should I expect from Vista

mammak 22:29 12 Oct 2007

Getting a bit nervous now expecting delivery of my new Vista laptop next Week!

I have read so many reviews on it I am a bit dizzy to be honest

I do recall all these bad points being brought to the fore when XP was first brought out is it pretty much of the same? is Vista just not so bad have I made a big mistake in going with Vista?

look forward to hearing your comments on this.

Ashrich 00:06 13 Oct 2007

It's human nature , people do not like change , at least most don't , and if they can't make something work it is someone else's fault , never their own . All Vista users have the same basic operating system , apart from a few extras in Premium and Ultimate , yet on some PC's it struggles and for most that meet it's hardware requirements it doesn't , so who's fault is it ? If it was all Microsoft's then none of the computers with Vista on would work . If you have done your homework , and looked to see if the programs you want to use are Vista compatible , have got the latest Vista drivers for things like you printer etc. , then you'll be fine , it is visually much nicer than the default XP interface and as long as you have enough memory you'll enjoy it ! .

Ashley

Probabilitydrive 08:42 13 Oct 2007

everything which takes you out of the comfort zone is initially a challenge. Vista included. But stick with it and you'll see that a flowing, organic experience in computing is the way forward. Vista does that. Reichsmarschall von Klinkerhofen replaced by the Madonna with the two big b**b's... You made no mistake, rest assured.

As Ashrich has advised, make sure you read enough about Vista to know where the painting needs some touching up (to continue my theme from above...).

Then, just enjoy till MS throws 'Vienna' into the equation...but that's still a long way away.

Forum Editor 08:55 13 Oct 2007

I very much doubt it, but be prepared to feel a little strange with it at first. There are areas in which Vista departs from the familiar WindowsXP environment, and some people take a little while to get used to that.

My opinion is that Vista is by far the best version of Windows yet, but you might expect me to say that - I've worked with it ever since it first saw the light of day in its beta cycle, and I'm very familiar with it. You're getting a new machine, and it will work perfectly, straight out of the box. You should have a smooth ride, but if you don't, you know where to come for help.

I am Spartacus 15:53 13 Oct 2007

My wife bought a new laptop recently with Vista Home Premium. The only thing she asked me for advice was which manufacturer I would suggest (Toshiba).

She set it up completely by herself including the wireless connection without any problems or help from me (apart for the WPA password). She's not used to delving into the various settings on our desktop system but has checked that her laptop is secure and has set it up to her requirements.

She says that everything you need to find is in a logical place and doesn't take much searching out. She likes Vista a lot.

Totally-braindead 16:48 13 Oct 2007

I'm afraid I don't agree with Ashrich. My computer more than meets the requirements for Vista Premium yet on my PC I found it a little bit sluggish and the thing that killed it for me was the problem with the keyboard not working properly. I tried different keyboard but they were all the same. Weird fault that one.
From what I have seen if you buy a brand new PC with Vista preinstalled it will probably work perfectly. I think the majority of people who have had problems are people like me who have upgraded from XP, I also have to say that for most this was not a problem either.
From my point of view the thing that seems to be a total killer is memory. If your laptop has a good amount of memory it will probably run perfectly, if not it will run but you might find it a bit slow.
Friend has a laptop with 512mb RAM and I don't like using it as its just too slow and thats with Vista Basic, another friend has a desktop with a fairly decent dual core processor and 1 gig of memory (onboard graphics though taking some of it) and it too is too sluggish for me. They are not very happy with it either complaining their old Windows ME computer was faster. Another friend has a similar desktop PC but has 2 gig of memory and its a completely different kettle of fish. Its basically the same PC but the only difference is another 1 gig of memory and you wouldn't believe the difference.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised mammak but if it is sluggish then it might be the lack of memory (only saying this as I don't know what you have bought).

Forum Editor 09:20 14 Oct 2007

that Vista likes to have a fair bit of RAM at its disposal, and whenever I'm asked about a slow Vista machine the amount of RAM is the first thing I check.

RAM isn't unduly expensive these days, and is extremely easy to install - even more so in a laptop than in a desktop machine - so if you get a computer with less than 1Gb installed it will be a good idea to slot in some more as soon as possible. That said, most decent laptops will come with at least that amount these days.

mammak 14:21 14 Oct 2007

Hi everyone thanks for your comments they have made me feel so much better about my first experince with Vista,

I am expecting delivery of an HP Compaq 6715B Visa Home Premium pre installed 160GB HD, 2GB RAM but it supports up to 4GB

from wandering round the forum and the Net I knew RAM to be the biggest issue with running Vista smoothly! I am feeling a lot more confident about it now knowing that the the most important issue is covered that I can upgrade to 4GB if need be but I think I should take your advise FE and upgrade the RAM as soon as I can,

thank you all for your comments I am now an excited but very happy bunny :-)

Totally-braindead 17:25 14 Oct 2007

Since the one you are getting has 2 gig the problems my friends had should not appear. As I said one friend had 1 gig with onboard graphics and the other had 2 gig with onboard graphics and they are like entirely different PCs though apart from the memory and I think the hard drive size they are otherwise the same.
I would think you would be pleasantly surprised, providing you can get used to the slightly different way Vista works compared to XP.
First thing to do when you get it set up, assumming it doesn't have a windows DVD or a restore cd is work out how to make a backup of windows onto DVD. There will be instructions on this somewhere if its needed.

skidzy 17:38 14 Oct 2007

2Gb should be absolutely fine,but a small word of warning if you decide to up the ram to 4GB.

Vista and 32bit operating system cannot read 4GB without editing the cpu info.Some reading for you and i would suggest you read the links click here

As said,Vista takes a little getting used to,but im sure you will love it.

Just check first there are Vista drivers for your hardware devices before loading there software.

Best of luck Ma.

mammak 18:05 14 Oct 2007

The one thing I am not entirely sure about is whether or not it comes with restore CD? I am a bit angry with myself about that it is the one thing I usually check :-( but most come with this option to make your own surly?.(I remember one XP I got I had 6 Cd's to make for restore I thought it would never stop asking me to put another CD in!).

skidzy thanks for the advice it is something I wouldn't have known regarding the 32bit thingy but will look into it and thanks for the links I will have a read of that info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017