What Happened?!

Andanotherthing 13:38 23 Jan 2011

What was that?
I have just had to reload Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) from my partitioned Acer 5741G and I would like to know what happened!!??
Soon after the critical Windows update, flagged by PC Advisor, that contained C++ things began to go wrong.
Firstly Google Chrome did not work – you clicked on it and it just hung. Thereafter this spread and nothing on the desktop opened. The background would go white and an error message saying ‘Windows was not working’ appeared. If you clicked ‘close program’ rather than ‘wait’ all the icons disappeared.
Everything worked fine in Safe Mode so full Malwarebytes and AVG scans were initiated – nothing found. The Windows Rescue Disk was used to see if there were any start-up issues or memory problems. None found
Time for a system restore then –before the C++ update - except that it never completed with the usual message at the end saying that restore had been successful. And the problem was still there. Another attempt got the response that that restore point was now corrupted. The remaining 3 restore points were all used. These worked but the problem remained. Everything still fine in Safe Mode but no icons working on the desktop in normal mode.
Time for an image backup from my external hard drive then? No, because backup couldn’t find the image and there was no ‘browse to’ option.
Hence the reload from the partition, the slow downloading of all the windows and driver updates and the reloading of key programs – but why? Can anyone explain if this was a known issue as I don’t fancy repeating this soon!

ams4127 18:19 23 Jan 2011

Perhaps you should have just deleted the update rather than do a full reload.

The same thing has happened to me a couple of times over the years and I have never really found out the reason.

chub_tor 19:59 23 Jan 2011

click here may be related, this update has caused problems for several - but not all - Windows 7 64 bit installations.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?