What is the best USB memory drive for Ready Boost?

simon_lambert 23:55 04 Apr 2007

Hey, I have a 2gb RAM system, and I was looking into getting a USB memory stick (2gb) for, amongst other things, speeding up my PC with RB.

I have heard that different devices are better for RB: can anyone recommend one that has worked well on their system, or the criteria for what makes a memory drive good on Vista for Ready Boost.

Cheers

Bit o' cheese 00:19 05 Apr 2007

Hi Si,

You might want to check out the link below:

click here

Cheers

Kate B 10:46 05 Apr 2007

Sandisk makes a 2GB flash drive that says it's enhanced for ReadyBoost - it's the cruzer micro.

Ashrich 22:50 06 Apr 2007

I have read that with 2gb of ram a ready boost USB stick won't make a jot of difference , it really is for systems that are light on memory .

Ashley

Kate B 23:06 06 Apr 2007

Ashrich, with respect, you haven't answered the question, you've just added something negative.

tullie 23:30 06 Apr 2007

Thats not negative,hes voicing his opinion,which may be right

simon_lambert 00:19 07 Apr 2007

Kate, thanks for your advice on the Sandisk, I got that one. I agree with tullie though, Ashrich should be allowed to voice his opinion, it is very relevant.

Ashrich 08:55 07 Apr 2007

Actually Kate B , it's extremely relevant , I am trying to stop someone spending unnecessary money on something that will not make the difference that he thinks it will , Ready Boost is a very handy thing that is built into Vista , but it really is for systems that are light on memory and as I said , with 2gb of ram already installed it won,t make any tangible change to the speed of the PC .

Ashley

cbaylor 03:27 10 Apr 2007

Ashrich is right on the money. Save your money Simon 2 gigs is more than ok on vista adding more would do nothing!

cbaylor

woofagooba 03:33 01 Feb 2008

Apparently the know-it-alls, or so they think, that "answered" this need to have some knowledge of just what Readyboost is. Readyboost does not operate the same as system ram and even a system running 2GB of ram will see performance increase with Readyboost. Readyboost is a cache, not system ram. Saying you won't see a benefit is like indicating that if you have enough memory you don't need a swap file. Maybe in certain situations that could be true, but not overall.

mooly 09:27 04 Feb 2008

I have found even with only running 1GB RAM with Vista Home Premium the difference is marginal. Tried "Peak 1GB Extreme SD Card" and also a 2GB High Speed USB flash drive. Use Vista's Performance & Reliability monitor to see what is being written to the readyboost drive. Goto performance monitor and click the green cross, find readyboost then add counters such as read/write bytes per sec etc. Minimize the window and open lots of applications, then maximize performance monitor and view results. In the end I found advantage non existent for normal use. Let us know how you get on with it.
Karl

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?