Website found waiting for reply

Rich Pickings 17:49 04 Apr 2007

Hello chaps. I have a bit of a problem with a machine running Vista Home Premium. When trying to access the Internet using IE7 all I get is Website found waiting for reply. The web pages never display. I've tried installing Firefox, which also refuses to display web pages. I can ping websites such as click here with no problem, Mcafee downloads updates as does Vista, it seems to be just websites that don't display.
Any suggestions please?

anskyber 17:53 04 Apr 2007

Any of this apply to you? click here

Rich Pickings 17:58 04 Apr 2007

I've already checked that, the PC is set to obtain IP and DNS automatically. It may be worth adding that the PC is connected to a Lynksys router, anothe PC of exactly the same spec is connected and has no problem connecting.
Both PCs were connected at the same time and up until today, both were accessing web pages fine, nothing else has changed as far as I can see.

Rich Pickings 18:00 04 Apr 2007

I've now brought this PC bac to my house and attached it to my home network using a netgear router and it still will not display web pages.

Rich Pickings 21:05 04 Apr 2007

I've just found that I can connect in "safe mode with networking". That might narrow it down.

Rich Pickings 21:25 04 Apr 2007

I uninstalled McAfee and the Internet has now returned to normal. Thanks for your help, but I managed to resolve the problem myself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?