WD External Hard Drive

4wildlife 14:40 30 Jan 2010

l purchased a WD 650gb external hard drive a while ago, l've had no problems with it, so l bought another WD 1tb to use as an extra backup for my pics as l take alot of photo's. When l have the 1tb plugged in and then l turn my computer on it runs so slow it nearly stops/freezes, it is so bad that l can't use the computer,l have to unplug the hard drive turn the computer off then on again for it to work properly. l got in touch with WD who told me to do an RMA, they replaced it with no explanation and a completely different hard drive, (l had an elements they replaced it with the book) this one does exactly the same, does anyone have a solution as WD will not answer my emails. Can anyone recomend a good external hard drive. Thanks

rdave13 17:15 30 Jan 2010

When I need to use an external HDD for backup it's never connected to a usb port when booting up PC.
After booting, and logged in, I connect the usb connection of the external HDD and then power up if it has a power adapter.
Windows then brings up the 'new hardware' icon and have had no problems. I also use this icon to 'eject' or 'remove' the HDD when no longer needed.
Possibly worth trying and not booting up with the drive connected to usb.

4wildlife 17:33 30 Jan 2010

Yes!! it works fine if l plug in the hard drive after l have started my computer, Thank you very much for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017