warning re build rci 5728

sunny staines 12:38 26 Sep 2006

click here

for your info

Forum Editor 18:40 26 Sep 2006

that you stick to the original RC1. Build 5728 is not intended for 'mainstream use' is likely to be unstable on some machines, and is best left alone by the majority of users.

Jimmy14 20:25 26 Sep 2006

I will say that I had Vista 5600 working perfect here on my laptop but I decided to give 5728 a try. I chose the upgrade option and at the end I found some things weren't working properly and i was getting pop-ups telling me AVG's driver wasn't compatible with this "version of windows". I then installed Avast home beta which is supposed to work perfect on Vista but to my luck it didn't. Vista even uninstalled Avast home beta before I got a chance to do anything. After seeking help from the vistaforums website I got avast partially working and updated the program to the october 2006 edition and virus definitions updates and guess what?, avast is working perfect and i dont have red circles over the avast icons in my system tray telling me they don't work. Thank god its all working now and I'm just after installing Office 2007 beta 2 then the techincal refresh over it from Microsoft. I do notice a speed difference in using Vista from the 5600 build and I think alot of other people have noticed this too. Don't know any significant changes apart from the install and when it checks your computers performance there are new sentences telling you about its security and day to day life. Another thing is the different coloured and design of icons for like your documents folder, videos and so on.

James

sunny staines 20:45 26 Sep 2006

thanks for the imput, but with my skills i,m holding on this on.

josie mayhem 21:30 26 Sep 2006

It very much seems that most problems are occuring during up-gradeing option, and most problems seem to occur with anti-virus software.

As my important data isn't on this computer, as if using this one I always ensure that I've backed my important doc's up, I choose to clean install and then gradually add my software. No problems so far.

I have noticed a increase in speed, I found with previous betas that even though the internet connection is up and running by the end of installation and router working, the home network hasn't and needs to be done manually to get the computer to be seen and to see.

In previous versions I have found this to be a lot of hard work getting it up and running, but with the 5728 a couple of adjustments and I was away, not sure weather if it was because I've got better at doing it, or if this has improved.

Media centre still doesn't reconise my t.v card, but this isn't a problem, as I'm not sure why I've put a tv card into my computer as I don't never watch it (must have been one of the frivious blond moments I guess!)

Must admit that I'm lucky as I've have several computers, so if this system goes belly up, I can either go back to 5600 or try again.

Noelg23 02:53 27 Sep 2006

I installed Vista 5728, but I did clean install instead of an upgrade (not a big fan of upgrading OSes!) the only issue I had with it is in Media Center where by the thumbnails of the videos caused it to crashed, but the picture thumbnails were fine, I shall be removing it and putting RC1 back on...but was worth a try...other than that not much difference than before...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone