Want to use desktop to record music

ady888s 12:12 30 Sep 2010

Hi there,

I’ve got an Acer Aspire AX3900. I’ve just started writing songs again and want to use my computer for recording. I have downloaded Mixcraft 5 which seems pretty good but the sound quality is pretty bad (sounds distant, like I’m in another room).

Can anyone recommend an additional soundcard? Would this make a difference? My budget is not great - £20 to £40. Is it possible/worth it to upgrade to a better soundcard from the factory installed one (I guess its on board) for this price?

Cheers,

AD

ady888s 12:24 30 Sep 2010

What I really want to know is how is the difference between a generic soundcard and one that costs £30 measured?

mgmcc 14:14 30 Sep 2010

If it sounds as though you're in another room, I'd be inclined to suspect the quality of the microphone as the first thing to look at. I have an Acer Desktop running Windows 7 and an Acer "Net-top" (Intel Atom processor) running XP. With good speakers the sound quality from both is quite astounding. It is certainly just as good as the "Creative Sound Blaster" card that I installed in an older PC.

chub_tor 09:08 01 Oct 2010

Microphone set up may be worth trying click here

Lex87 17:57 01 Oct 2010

Upgrading to a better sound card can make a big difference in your recording quality. A good sound card can easily be $200 USD but you might be able to find one cheap used. Craigslist or ebay or your local used computer shop can probably help.

<A HREF="click here">insurance quotes</A>

john bunyan 18:50 01 Oct 2010

Sound cards are nowhere near that dear. The Creative X - Fi is what I use at about £30 - Lex87 looks a spammer.If you are intersted

click here#

ady888s 20:09 01 Oct 2010

Thanks everyone, i'll definitly look into these. i think I'll probably start with the mic (I know thats probably the biggest culprit). I still have my suspicions about the sound card and might consider an upgrade (5.1) for around £30-40 I guess. Might be a bit of trial and error.

Thanks again,

Ad

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?