w8.1 update

sunnystaines 13:16 17 Oct 2013

I thought it was going to be on ms updates 12 noon uk time, no trace at the moment.

will it update like a service pack or a new version of windows as both our laptops have no provided serial key for the latter.

HenryF75 14:01 17 Oct 2013

My understanding is that it may take some time to spread around the world. 12 noon was the published release time.

chub_tor 14:23 17 Oct 2013

I'm in the process of downloading and installing now. Very slow download, guess that I'm not the only one.

chub_tor 16:06 17 Oct 2013

Well I'm up and running with 8.1. For me it took about 2.5 hours total, although a lot of that was in the download - however the numerous screens to get going going again were a pain to watch. Lots of dots in circles while Preparing Devices, Getting Ready, Applying PC Settings, Setting up a few more things, two re-boots and finally Installing your Apps. After that it has been a question of updating the Apps and fiddling around to make it run smooth again.

I am using the latest version of Smart8 as well as I still like the Program list that you get with it but Stardock ModernMix seemed to screw up the email App so I have uninstalled that. Might try again later.

So far so good, but it will take a few hours to understand the new features.

chub_tor 17:03 17 Oct 2013

Still fiddling around but one thing I did find was that System Restore was off by default.

sunnystaines 17:39 17 Oct 2013

at 2.3gb I will have to wait, my bb of late has been dreadfully slow talktalk are upgrading me to fibreoptic next week so will try then. did not know it was so big.

sunnystaines 17:42 17 Oct 2013

chub_tor

thanks for that warning.

will the download move to windows update after the rush, or will i have to go to windows store never used it before. not been emailed any serial key either yet.

chub_tor 18:07 17 Oct 2013

From the cursory check that I did I could only find the ability to download it via the Windows Store. I wanted an update or preferably a website that I could download and save the download to but could not find one.

The download was long, my broadband is with BT and I get about 7Mps but as I was downloading just after 12.00pm I am sure that many millions were also downloading it. That wasn't so bad but the constant watching and waiting during the installation was a pain. It was only because I was anxious though, no intervention was really necessary once the download had been finished and accepted.

Currently fiddling with colours, all my apps look garish and in one of the personalisation options I have been busy unticking boxes to stop Microsoft sending me advertisements based on my browsing experiences.

'er indoors has not been particularly happy that I have been sitting here for nigh on 6 hours now, so I am going to quit for a while.

wescliff 22:41 17 Oct 2013

Took me three hours but seems to be ok. A great many screens appear after it seems to be complete. A bit of a pain. And why does it have to send a code to your mobile. Start button not worth it, and it does take a bit longer to boot up.

rdave13 00:18 18 Oct 2013

Totally underwhelmed.

rdave13 02:37 18 Oct 2013

Belay that comment. Running 64 GB SSD and usually at 17 to 18 GB free. Ran disc cleaner twice, selected the appropriate options second time around and now have 25.8 GB free. That is good.

Options in the start page only eye candy I think.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires