W7 in the workplace? (is it a go'er)

JConcept4 09:37 13 Feb 2010

Hi

I'm ordering some business laptops soon from Dell and wanted to check if W7 Pro is the best OS to now have installed?

The laptops are only for office use, email, office, mis etc.

As a company we have stayed clear of Vista due to all the issues we where hearing so I thought i'd check on how W7 is doing.

Would you all recommend to go with the new OS or stick with trusty XP Pro?

Thanks

Jc

Pine Man 12:55 13 Feb 2010

No hesitation in recommending Windows 7. Much faster and far more stable than XP.

Forum Editor 09:24 14 Feb 2010

and like Pine Man, I find it faster and more stable than XP. It's the best operating system Microsoft has ever released in that respect.

sunnystaines 09:49 14 Feb 2010

ditto the above two replies.

961 14:36 14 Feb 2010

I would suggest that, for the moment, you stick to 32 bit (which most Dell business machines still have) rather than go 64 bit, which can be a bit of a pain

JConcept4 21:59 14 Feb 2010

Thanks for the info, looks like I'll go with W7

Migwell 17:45 15 Feb 2010

I have just changed over to Win 7 on both my computers. I had bought a laptop with Vista on it and hated it, but stuck with it as Fujitsu had no drivers for most parts of it to work with XP, so I couldn't go backwards.

My tower had XP on it and was doing fine, but I had always wanted to network the two and had never had any success.

Now both computers are on Win 7 and networked it is a fantastic world, being able to print off things without needing to carry the laptop upstairs and start pulling out cables and connecting up the laptop.

Win 7 is so stable it is what I have waited for since 1994 when I first got a computer and was running Windows 3.0.

If you do make the jump, I wish you well, I am pleased I did.

robin_x 01:58 16 Feb 2010

Make sure any old modems/printers and other peripherals will be compatible.

And whether old software will still work Unless you are upgrading/exporting importing etc.

Staff won't be happy if Payroll packs up :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?