W10 creator update failing to install

beeuuem~2 19:17 15 Apr 2017
Answered

Is it just me having problems with this?

I recall having not entirely dissimilar problems when updating from W7 to W10 when it would part way through the installation. From memory that was resolved by removing Outpost firewall and putting a page file on the C Drive.

The problem currently encountered is that the installation files are copied and the installation commences before failing at about 9% completion. The error message given after the previous version is restored is

0xC1900101 0x2000C 'The installation failed in the SAFEOS phase with an error during APPLYIMAGE operation

As would be expected I have Googled this and have

1/ Ensured all recent updates have been applied.

2/ Removed all Antivirus and security programmes.

3/ Stopped all non Microsoft services to give a clean boot.

4/ Removed all USB devices apart from mouse and key board.

Booting from a USB flash drive the error persists although a clean install, as opposed to an update, completes without a hitch which indicates that the downloaded file is not corrupted.

It would be possible to do a clean install, as stated above, but having had W10 adjusted to my liking I'd really rather not have to go through setting everything up - again.

Any and all bright ideas welcomed !!

rdave13 18:19 16 Apr 2017

Try running check-disk the normal way, file explorer, right click C: drive, properties, tools. Error checking. It might say you don't need to but I'd give it a scan anyway.

beeuuem~2 23:07 16 Apr 2017

Thanks for the thought. That has been done as well as system file checker - no errors found.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:09 17 Apr 2017

Intel CPU? have you got update KB3064209 installed?

beeuuem~2 15:00 17 Apr 2017

Good afternoon Fruit Bat /\0/\, This is proving a little irritating that's understatement ! I have an AMD CPU.

I'm running out of ideas to find a solution to this.

beeuuem~2 15:02 17 Apr 2017

beeuuem~2 15:03 17 Apr 2017

And the image isn't appearing !

beeuuem~2 15:07 17 Apr 2017

rdave13 15:17 17 Apr 2017

Error

0xC1900101 - 0x20004 0xC1900101 - 0x2000c 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 0xC1900101 - 0x30018 0xC1900101 - 0x3000D 0xC1900101 - 0x4000D 0xC1900101 - 0x40017 Description

Any error that starts with 0xC1900101 is likely to be a device-driver-related error.

Resolution

There is a number of things you can do to fix a driver issue.

Solution 1: Update the driver in question to the latest version. The best way to get the most up-to-date version is by downloading the latest driver from your device manufacturer's support website.

To update a driver on your computer, do the following:

Open Start. Search for Device Manager and click the result. Expand the device causing problems. (The device having issues will likely to appear with a yellow exclamation mark.) Right-click and select Update Driver Software to check for updates or click Uninstall to bypass the error. If you download the driver from your manufacturer, use their instructions to update, instead of using the steps mentioned above.

Solution 2: Disconnect the device causing the issue, install the Creators Update, and then reconnect it. Also, remove all non-essential peripherals, such as removable storage, printers, Bluetooth, and other hardware that may cause the problem.

Solution 3: Use the SFC command tool on Windows 10 to repair the installation.

If you're still having problems, you can try the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool for repair the installation.

Solution 4: These errors can occur if you don't have enough space to do the upgrade. Make sure to have at least 16GB of storage. If you don't, use the instructions mentioned above (How to fix storage problem during update installation) to free up space.

Solution 5: Use the Media Creation Tool to do a clean install of the Windows 10 Creators Update.

From click here . Might be a driver causing it?

beeuuem~2 21:33 17 Apr 2017

I will report back when my spirits lift enough to try again !

beeuuem~2 19:03 11 May 2017
Answer

I have tried all the remedies suggested here and elsewhere without success. As a clean install works, one day when I have nothing better to do (!). I'll do that.

I find it isn't the install itself that takes the time so much as adding programs and getting the settings suit to my personal preferences.

My thanks for all suggestions and advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires