vista/xp dual boot

zarobian 08:53 08 Nov 2006

My friend installed Vista on a second HD and dual boot it with XP Pro. Yesterday he had some problem with WinXP and straight away restored the Acronis Image he previously created( WinXP image). This morning he sent me the following email: "Since I did the Acronis it does not offer the dual boot option!"
The dual Boot option disappeared. I have not yet seen the problem myself to investigate.I do not know the condition of Boot.ini file. In WinXp one can repair the Boot Mbr using Recovery Consol but vista is a black box for the moment.

Any idea how to best tackle this problem without re-installing vista or there is choice.
Thanks in advance.

keja 13:20 08 Nov 2006

Vista does not use boot.ini, it uses a new boot file, the bcd store, which is loaded to the XP partition/drive.
Your friend could try VistaBootPro click here - I know it offers options to edit the boot files, but I'm not sure about restoring them.

Hope this works.

zarobian 17:03 08 Nov 2006

Thanks for the info. Since an image has been restored on WinXP, bcdstore would have been over written. I have a copy of Boot Pro 3.1.0 but I think in this situation it will be of no use. My best course of action would be to boot vista with vista cd if it boots at all and then backup any important files. Reformat the 2nd drive and re- install vista again. Will try to repair first if possible.

Will post back in due course.

'Z'

zarobian 18:03 10 Nov 2006

I just reinstalled vista again without reformatting the HD.Problem solved and all files were intact. It took me about 25/30 minutes to do the job.I thought I let you know.

.Z.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?