Vista/NAS user permissions

jxmac 20:17 27 Aug 2007

I'm running Vista Ultimate, with a Linux-based (LaCie) NAS ethernet disk array.
With the NAS array, I've created a share, and have several users assigned to the share.

All the users have full r/w access, except I want to deny another user any access to some folders underneath the share, like backup folders, as I don't want them displayed on a separate multimedia device.

I do not want to have separate shares.

With the Vista folder access, I'm getting permission denied - I can do anything with the files/dirs, but I cannot take ownership of them with the Linux user account (properties -> security -> add user) it finds the accounts ok.

Neither can I can deny access to any folders: If I add a user "Linux User ...(NASDisk01\eva)", and try to deny any access, I get "Access is denied" to the files and dir.

If I add the NAS array "admin" user, I cannot change any permissions.

The NAS array doesn't have any granular access controls that I can see from the GUI.

Many thanks
Jack

jxmac 20:56 27 Aug 2007

I'm now trying to move some files onto a second share to test this.

For some files (not all), it seems I can move/rename the files within one share, but I cannot delete or move them to the second share, as I don't have permission.

jxmac 22:28 27 Aug 2007

Got a bit further, read-only was set on some files when they moved on the NAS array, removed that, and I could move/delete files ok between shares.

I can also assign one Linux account to take ownership of the directory (not sub-dirs though).

But I still cannot change or deny access to any user account known to the NAS array, even though Vista tells me the accounts exist.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?