Vista won't install onto SATA drive

Tel 23:46 18 Feb 2007

I am trying to install Vista Home Premium onto 160GB Samsung HD160JJ SATA Drive.
My Computer shows it as having 148GB free space and NTFS file system.
When it gets to the point of installing drivers it shows an error message
"Windows cannot be installed to this HD space. The partition contains one or more dynamic volumes that are not supported for installation"
I have tried installing SATA drivers but cannot proceed further.
Can anyone help please

keatesy 17:13 19 Feb 2007

Hi there, are you trying to do a complete fresh install or are you trying to just upgrade XP. If the version you have is the full copy (not upgrade) then make sure you have backed everything you want to keep onto a dvd or external hard drive then go into your bios and make your computer boot from the cd. Once it starts the install you should have the option to reformat your hard drive and then create a partition if needed. This should solve your problem!!! As for sata drivers windows vista has virtually all the drivers you need. Unless you are setting up a raid config then im afraid i cant help with that. Good Luck, Kev

keatesy 17:15 19 Feb 2007

Sorry i forgot to mention is your file system FAT32 or NTFS as Vista doesnt like FAT32.

pk46 20:57 19 Feb 2007

Sounds like you havn't installed the SATA drivers you get the option todo this on the first part of Vista install.
As a rule these comw with the HD and in my case i put them on a floppy.

Tel 21:18 19 Feb 2007

Hi keatesy
The HDD is a new one and had been formatted to NTFS. I had installed the SATA drivers when given the opportunity but could not continue further.
The problem was that when I formatted the drive it had been set up as a dynamic volume and not a basic one. Reformatting and changing the volume to a basic primary partition has solved the problem
Thanks for the help

Terry

keatesy 21:35 19 Feb 2007

Glad you have sorted it, i take it the install of vista went ok then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?