vista wants me to buy new activation key

sype 23:16 02 Jul 2007

I have just installed new firmware for my sony dvd drives after some burning troubles. after re booting a window opened up saying i needed to activate windows after new hardware install. when i tryed windows said that my product key was already in use and i needed to purchase a new one. if i dont my computer will stop working in three days. has anyone else had this problem and how do i go about fixing it? you would have thought it was illegal to say to someone give us some money or we will break your computer.

Kate B 23:19 02 Jul 2007

Sounds as though you've got an OEM copy of Vista - did it come preinstalled on a new machine? Presumably it was all activated ok when you first had the PC? Sounds as though it thinks it's had more of a hardware upgrade than it has: I'd just ring Microsoft and explain what you've done and they'll give you a new activation key.

sype 06:30 03 Jul 2007

I have windows vista home premium upgrade. A normal copy i bought from costco. and all i have done is upgrade the sony dvd rom and rw firmware from the sony web site. it activated ok when i first installed vista.

crosstrainer 06:45 03 Jul 2007

All you need to do is phone Microsoft...updating dvd drives, memory etc. does not constitue a breach of your licence. They will provide you with a new key (as long as your copy of Vista is legal) by telephone.

There have been various reports of Vista being fooled into thinking more hardware has been changed than has.

sype 15:26 03 Jul 2007

can anyone tell me the correct phone number to ring please? im in the uk.

anskyber 15:33 03 Jul 2007

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?