Vista versions

Terry Brown 17:03 26 Feb 2007

I am thing about buying a new computer soon (May-June time). Can any tell me what is the difference between the basic and other versions in regards to operating the system.
I understand that the top end will have better security systems and a better graphics display, but I cannot find any other references to the weaknesses /advantages of the various versions.
Terry

crosstrainer 17:07 26 Feb 2007

The basic version is just that.....basic, most home users are going for "Home Premium" which has the built in security and the Aero interface...in fact I would be very surprised if any PC manufacturer would sell you a machine with basic on it...the next option up is ultimate which may be offered to you when you buy. Home Premium is fine for most people.

I went for Ultimate but I have heard good things about Home Premium. I think you have the right idea about your intended purchase date, driver support will be better then and any major bugs should have been shaken out of the OS by May / June.

Jimmy14 17:26 26 Feb 2007

Beta has provided a very good link for you to compare each version. I think you would be best going with Home Premium as Home Basic doesn't contain a DVD Burner, Chess Games, Windows Movie Maker in High Definition and Remote Desktop Connections.

Coltch 08:24 27 Feb 2007

The simple choice for most people will be either Home Premium or Ultimate.

Do not get any version that has an 'N' in its description, these are cut down versions specifically for Europe.

I will be getting Ultimate as it's what I've been using since Beta 2, and some of the functions I require are only found in Business and Ultimate editions.

Terry Brown 20:35 28 Feb 2007

Thank you all for the advise.
I think I will go for the Home Premium when the time comes.
Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?