Vista upgrade to Windows 7 - FAILED

cowgirl66 10:09 02 Mar 2010

Hi, I wanted to upgrade to W7 so first I ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor tool. My computer passed on most point however the Belkin Network Adapter needed the latest drivers. So I installed these and still I was told by the Advisor that the drivers weren't the latest version. So I disconnected the Network Adapter and decided to play it safe by upgrading whilst wired up.

The upgrade process was seen right through to the very end, and when the comp restarted and I expected to see "Welcome to Windows 7" or some such greeting, I was told that the upgrade had failed and the comp would roll back to the previous Windows system. I tried this 3 times and each time the same thing happened.

The one thing I did get a fleeting glimpse of was a screen after reboot to start Windows 7 saying something about "Error" and the word "driver" but the screen was so quick and so much to read I didn't have time to see it.

This is all a puzzle to me. My printer passed the test to upgrade, I have no other peripherals as such, not even a webcam. Maybe I should uninstall the Belkin Network Adapter software if this is confusing things as I am no longer using it whilst upgrading?

I have checked Device Manager and there is something in there about and ISATAP 2

"This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available."

When I try to update these drivers, Microsoft tells me they are up-to-date!

I have also uninstalled itunes as advised so I am at a loss as to what to do next.

I am hoping someone can help with this annoying and time-wasting problem,

Many thanks, cowgirl66

Technocrate 11:35 02 Mar 2010

Depending on your hardware and your current edition of Windows Vista, you can use the Upgrade option during Windows 7 installation to upgrade from Windows Vista to a corresponding or higher edition of Windows 7.

Upgrading is the most convenient way to get Windows 7 on your computer, because it keeps your files, settings, and programs from Windows Vista in place.

If your current edition of Windows Vista can't be upgraded to the edition of Windows 7 that you want to use, you can still install Windows 7 by using the Custom installation option instead. However, the Custom option doesn't preserve your files, programs, or settings. For a step-by-step tutorial on how to perform a custom installation, see Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 (custom installation).
Make sure that your programs and devices will work with Windows 7

Since your computer is running Windows Vista, it meets the system requirements for Windows 7. We still recommend that you download and run the free Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor from the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor webpage on the Windows website. It helps find potential issues with your computer’s hardware, devices, or programs that might affect installing Windows 7, and gives recommendations on what to do.

Also, go to the Windows 7 Compatibility Center to see what works with Windows 7 and find direct links to drivers, updates, and downloads.

cowgirl66 14:33 02 Mar 2010

I have been using the free Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor from the Windows website, Techno. This is my problem. It is telling me my printer, my graphics and system requirements are all satisfactory for Windows 7. have tried installing it yet again and the blue screen error message read,

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to avoid damamge to your computer."

I am wondering would it be safe to remove this Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2 or do I need to keep it for Windows 7?

cowgirl66 11:26 05 Mar 2010

I am pleased to say I have now got Windows 7. I backed up all my music and photos etc onto Acronis Online Backup then did a Custom install as you suggested, Technocrate and Windows 7 went in like a dream.

Thanks, cowgirl66

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017