Vista upgrade or pre-installed, what the diff???

jacksony 09:16 13 Jan 2007

Can some knowledgeable person please tell me what difference, if any, there is between buying a new computer with Windows XP and then upgrading to Windows Vista Premium, or waiting and buying a PC with Vista Premium already installed?

anskyber 09:40 13 Jan 2007

Nothing. Except you have to install Vista either as a clean install or "over the top" (which keeps your files and settings)

Not everyone has been successful with the install process. Unless you are desperate wait for the pre installed machine....coming soon to a shop near you!

jacksony 11:58 13 Jan 2007

So you end up with exactly the same Windows code whether you upgrade or buy from scratch?

anskyber 12:42 13 Jan 2007

If you mean is the OS and its features the same the answer is yes. The preinstalled will be the OEM version and as far as I understand the "upgrade" will be the equivalent of an OEM.

If you want the flexibility of transfer from one machine to another (if the first one dies or is decommissioned) then you will need the full retail copy.

Forum Editor 21:44 13 Jan 2007

is that you'll be sure to have a machine with a perfect working installation of Vista - all the hardware device drivers will be preinstalled.

If you do the upgrade yourself you may find that you've got some hardware incompatibilities, and although Vista will probably sort this out for you - by finding and downloading updated drivers - it's simply introducing one more link in the chain. In an ideal world you will be better off waiting for that new machine with Vista preinstalled.

anskyber 21:50 13 Jan 2007

Coincidentally the March edition of PCA, which is one of the best I have read recently, says (my paraphrase) hold on for a very short while for a pre installed version.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?