Vista Update has ruined my PC

Red Devil 09:37 14 Feb 2008

Hi all,

OK, I've had some issues with Vista since installing it on my main PC as some of you may remember. I talked about removing it and going back to XP but didn't and have now been left to bitterly regret my decision not to.

"Why?" you may ask.

I can tell you why. I *tried* to install the latest updates to Vista that were made available on Tuesday and now my PC is unusable.

These wonderful new updates that Microsoft have given us corrupted my winload.exe file and so I need to repair it.

Except that I now cannot boot from CD either since installing these updates so cannot repair my Windows installation using my installation CD.

I cannot even start over and install a brand new fresh copy of Windows - of any flavour, be it Vista, XP, ME or whatever due to the fact that my CD drive cannot be booted from.

So what can I do? My PC is completely unusable thanks to Microsoft's latest display of incompetence and I now have a £1000 block of metal and plastic that's only use is to chew up electricity............

Thanks a bunch Microsoft.

ventanas 10:05 14 Feb 2008

Have you tries safe mode and system restore?

Red Devil 10:13 14 Feb 2008

While I appreciate the attempt to help me out of my predicament, how exactly am I supposed to try safe mode when my winload.exe file is corrupted, Windows won't even attempt to boot and I cannot boot from CD?

Totally-braindead 10:49 14 Feb 2008

I'm not disagreeing or argueing with you in any way but are you saying a MS update has stopped you getting into BIOS to set the CD as the first boot device?

I only ask as I didn't see how this is possible unless somehow the MS updates have written to the BIOS and don't understand how they can manage that.

Can anyone explain how it can do this?

cream. 10:56 14 Feb 2008

Laptop or desktop?

Disconnect the hard drive and restart. set the bios to boot from cdrom, save changes and shut down. re-connect the hard drive and repair.

If desktop. Use a spare hard drive, if you have one and insert this into system. disconnect vista hard drive. Put XP on to the spare hard drive and when it is installed, connect the Vista hard drive as slave. Format the slave ( vista drive ) and then put XP on it.

If it's a laptop hard drive. take it out and pop it in a caddy. Connect caddy to a different machine and take of all files you want. then format it via the other machine.

cream. 10:58 14 Feb 2008

All vista updates are running fine on all our machines.

keef66 14:14 14 Feb 2008

As Totally-bBraindead asks, why can't you boot from CD?

TamB 09:45 15 Feb 2008

Hi,

My PC seems to have suffered the same fate as Red Devils after the recent update. I can only presume it is due to the update as everything was fine before I was prompted to restart the PC to configure updates.

On the restart it advises the winload.exe file is missing or corrupted and advises that I should re-boot using CD. I have tried this but PC won't boot using CD either.

I disconnected harddrive last night and restarted as per Percy Vere advice but don't know how to set the bios to boot from cd rom.

Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

cream. 09:59 15 Feb 2008

Is your machine a desktop or a laptop?

'but don't know how to set the bios to boot from cd rom. '

You have to enter the bios,usually by pressing the delete key as the computer starts and navigate through the pages to the one that states " first boot option".

This has to be changed to cdrom and you must save and exit.

If you know the make and model of either the computer or it;s motherboard. post th details here as we may be able to point you in the right direction.

TamB 13:07 15 Feb 2008

Percy Vere

Machine is a desktop - Eclipse Elite with motherboard Asrock ConRoe 1333D-667 R2.0.

Here's a link if you want to see for yourself:

click here

Mine is pretty much as specified in the above with a couple of mods to the memory and hard drive.

I take it I just keep hitting the delete key when I start up the pc to get to the pages you mention?

apologies If I appear to be a bit cluless, but i'm more a pc user than a techy when it comes to these sort of problems :-)

Cheers

Totally-braindead 13:44 15 Feb 2008

If you look at the startup screen it will say somwhere on it how to get into BIOS or the manual should tell you. Usually as said hitting the Delete key is the thing and sometimes you need a couple of goes as you don't hit it quick enough. Then find the boot order and make the CD/DVD the first boot device - and then save it and restart the PC with the windows CDROM in the drive and then do a repair.

Be careful about this as the first screen does appear to give you the option to repair but it will lose you info. Read this carefully it will tell you how to do a repair click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?