Vista Ultimate x64 Install sucess and feedback...

Howling Mad Murdock 21:25 30 Jan 2007

A few hours ago I completed a sucessful clean install of Vista Ultimate x64, I still have to re-install some programs since they no longer register as installed, but i'm back up and running.

Specs of my machine:

AMD x64 Dual Core Processor 4400+
4096MB RAM
80GB Drive for Vista install (it takes up 11GB right now)
200GB Drive for everything else
Nvidia 7300GT 512MB
Using on board sound card

Installing went fine without a hitch, I got booted into windows within 90 minutes. A few drivers were missing, but I was able to obtain them via the new windows update. I downloaded around 20 or so updates, most of which were optional. (Also got the extras)

My inital thoughts so far are resonably positive. Its by far the most visually stunning version of windows i've ever seen, and the interface is top-notch once you tweak it a little.

Theres still a lot to explore, but right now I think Vista is rock soild, minus some annoyances such as this profile activity monitor. (You can't delete even a shortcut on your desktop without being asked twice) The amount of things this feature asks you to repeat yourself is nothing short of a joke and i have thus disabled it.

I think whoever made vista has something aginest progress reports to the user, not having an option to pick what drive you want to defragment is bad enough, but not even giving you a progress bar telling you how far along its went is criminal. All the user has is a bit of text saying "this could take between a few minutes or a few hours" what good is that to any user? That seems to be repeated in a number of processes, such as the vista installer itself. I hope MS will clear up such minor annoyances with their updates as feedback rolls in.

Anyone else please post your impressions so far.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?