Vista SP1 won't install & crashes laptop

gmacc 10:37 28 Nov 2008

Please help!

I have an Acer laptop which came with Windows Vista Home Basic pre-installed.
I need to download itunes 8 for my new ipod. This won't install unless I have Vista SP1.

I have tried to install SP1. It seems to install fine, goes to configure updates etc & then re-starts laptop.
I then get a black screen with white writing across the top as if its checking files on laptop.
It freezes with the following on screen:
!!OXC01a001D!! (\registry\machine\schema\wcm://microsoft...)
I've had to hold down the power switch to turn it off, when it comes back on it goes to system repair, to restore laptop back to when it last worked correctly but SP1 failed to install.
I've tried this a couple of times now, even uninstalled security software but it still doesn't work!

User-1229748 10:48 28 Nov 2008

are you being offered sp1 thru windows update?if not it is best to wait until you are.if you are being offered it thru windows update there are a few things about preparing your pc before installing sp1 hereclick here

gmacc 10:53 28 Nov 2008

yes I was trying to install via windows update.

I've done disc cleanup etc but it still crashes!

I installed avg after doing system recovwery last night & ran ful system scan. It found 4 trojan horses, could this have anything to do with it?

sorry not very well up on computers!!

User-1229748 11:11 28 Nov 2008

i would tick this thread as resolved and re-post in the help forum for a speedy response cos you are probably going to need help getting rid of the trojans if avg didn't sort it out.

User-1229748 11:14 28 Nov 2008

scan with malwarebytes if avg doesn't get rid of trojans,update before runningclick here

User-1229748 11:16 28 Nov 2008

sorry should have said"helproom" forum

Ashrich 18:54 28 Nov 2008

click here and scroll down a bit for a solution from Microsoft , it seems to have worked for those who tried it .

Ashley

oldbeefer2 20:24 28 Nov 2008

Interesting that Microsoft are offering free support to 'non commercial customers' who have had problems following a download of SP1 for Vista. Looks as though the update wasn't properly validated before release.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie