Vista and security

wrg 10:17 09 Jul 2007

Morning All

I have just purchased a laptop that has Vista Home Basic. It came with 3 years subscription to Mcaffee. I have uninstalled Mcaffe as I do not like it and find it slows the computer down. I have downloaded Avast Anti Virus. Is that all I need, is the firewall and defender programmes that come with Vista sufficient, I have not changed any of the settings, also is there a programme that monitors your Ram usage which released more ram as needed?

Thanks
wrg

anskyber 10:30 09 Jul 2007

I only use the programs you have chosen.

Can you explain a little more about the second point with RAM? There is a sidebar Gadget with will show CPU uasge and RAM usage in real time if that is what you mean.

wrg 11:13 09 Jul 2007

anskyber

Thanks for your response. With the RAM what I mean is, say I am using the computer and I have 356g of RAM available is there a programme that would increase this to say 500g by releasing it from other programmes that are running but I am not using. Also, I currently have 1024 RAM. When I check to see what is available it states 896g RAM. I am assuming it is using 128g for Vista, however when I look behind the scene it tells me that only 300 odd g of RAM is free, any ideas why?

Once again thanks for your response.

anskyber 11:47 09 Jul 2007

Rather involved is RAM. Vista has been set up to optimise the use of RAM. One of the reasons is vista has relatively high requirements for it's own needs.

In addition to installed RAM there is also "page file" memory which is where Vista uses the storage on your hard drive for certain memory uses. This latter "memory" is kept under constant review by Vista and is thereby "optimised" For a more detailed explanation click here

Can I ask wehere you have seen the figures for your memory, is it from the Control Panel or from say the task manager?

anskyber 11:50 09 Jul 2007

PS, the lower figure you quote could be because of your graphics card. For laptops in particular they may either share all of their graphics needs with normal system RAM or have some dedicated RAM wich is "topped up" with system RAM.

wrg 11:56 09 Jul 2007

The 896 shows in the welcome screen. I have downloaded some software yesterday (I think its called SAcarepersonal, something like that) which tells me what RAM is free.
Thanks for your time and responses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?