Vista ReadyBoost

simon_lambert 11:13 11 Feb 2007

I was looking at purchasing a new PC with Vista as the OS, and apparently 1GB of RAM is ok but, but to get the most out of a Vista pc, 2GB of RAM is advised. However, to upgrade by 1Gb is about £70. Then I heard Vista has ReadyBoost, which allows spare space on a USB memory stick to be used as memory. Supposing I purchased a 1 GB stick and didnt load anything on to it, would this be as effective as standard on-board RAM? What about if the memory stick was 2GB/4GB etc... Thanks in advance for your answers, Si

anskyber 11:54 11 Feb 2007

Readyboost is not without its limitations. RB will use USB 2.0 flashdiscs, Secure Digital Cards and compact Flash Cards.

As far as I understand it there are two types of RAM in memory sticks depending on which you get, slow and fast. It seems it will only work with the fast type.

If you connect such a device Vista will run a test on it to see if it meets the standards needed.

The standards are 2.5MB / sec throughout for 4 KB random reads and 1.75 MB / sec throughout for 512 KB random reads. It should also have at least 256MB available for RB cache.

It seems you can benefit from RB equal to approx 150% of system RAM so your RB max would be 1.5MB.

anskyber 12:00 11 Feb 2007

PS. It will not work through an external card reader.

anskyber 12:03 11 Feb 2007

Finally! I should of corse have sain "your RB max would be 1.5GB (not MB!)

Kate B 14:09 11 Feb 2007

I've got a 2GB Sandisk Ready Cruzer which claims to be enhanced for Readyboost. It does make a bit of a difference, though it's hard to quantify. It might be interesting to run some benchmarks with the stick plugged in and without.

Sorry this is not a answer to your question, but a question about ready boost,(i did not think it a good idea starting another subject on the matter)
I have a laptop which has vista premium installed with 1gb ram, i also have a 2gb flash drive which i want to use with RB can i assign all 2gb as i dont need any of the 2gb for files etc as i have another 1gb flash drive for that purpose,sorry for imposing like this...
..Abb..

Kate B 15:26 11 Feb 2007

abb, you should always start your own thread - don't hijack other people's threads.

anskyber 16:12 12 Feb 2007

As a postscript to Readyboost.

It seems that many of the current flash devices which carry specs for fast read speeds are more tuned to large file transfer speeds rather than the smaller items associated with the rquirements of RB on PCs. Some devices with impressive speeds are poor on the requirements for RB.

A key point here is the read speed must be random reads. The function cannot be seen as a direct replacement for normal RAM even though the functions have a lot of similarity.

I understand that manufacturers of devices are bringing out suitable products which are RB capable and many will publicise the fact on the packaging.

Unless you want to try a device you currently own the alternative of going out and buying something on spec could prove to be unsuccessful when the device is tested by the wizard in Vista.

anskyber 16:14 12 Feb 2007

"A key point here is the read speed must be random reads" I should have added "across the whole memory available range not just one file or only on part of the device"

WSR 19:26 12 Feb 2007

Somebody last week posted a link to an analysis of Readyboost

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache