Vista problems and firewalls

Girlfromschool 12:17 24 Feb 2008

It's just been suggested "the vista update is incompatible with firewalls, zonealarm etc..microsoft has said that it is up to those companies to sort it out..."
I've got ad aware spybot.
zonealarm and big fixwere already on laptop when bought.
what do you experts think please????

aine 15:00 24 Feb 2008

Micrsofts statement said, "zonealarm suite" is incompatible, not just the firewall

tullie 16:05 24 Feb 2008

As you say,its up to those companies to sort it out,not microsoft.Which Vista update are you talking about?Ive had no problems with those programmes.

Girlfromschool 16:07 24 Feb 2008

it was an update on 15/02/2008 when an auto install was put on.

tullie 16:40 24 Feb 2008

My updates are upto date,had no adverse affects

sinbads 20:43 24 Feb 2008

ok still need to close the other thread and keep this running yes?

1 Can you tell me how you have tried to uninstall Win update re 15/02/08?

2 did you do a restore to a date before the updates were installed?

Girlfromschool 11:00 25 Feb 2008

Thanks. I did an auto uninstall to a good previous date but it wouldn't do it - said could not complete. Then a manual uninstall one by one but still the 15/Feb/2008 would not uninstall.
Last night I had a phone conversation with a friend who has both a computer and similar lap top. The main comp was on instant message to her IT friends and her laptop was to follow the instructions and 'see' what I had on screen. I was talked through using the disc belonging to my laptop to uninstall back to a good date. I also switched off the auto updater.
Today I got a zone alarm message saying there is now an update ready, needed for compatibility to Vista. That is on 'remind'
Thank you to everyone who gave advice.

sinbads 17:01 25 Feb 2008

Well i'm glad your sorted my advice would be to leave updates turned off untill after sp1 comes out and you are sure updates will be ok. Many of us have had issues with the pre sp1 updates me included, however mine was sorted.

At least you have learned how to restore your pc should it happen again

Regards

Girlfromschool 14:02 26 Feb 2008

Thank you. I feel much happier now but as to knowing what to do next time --??-- I'll be watching the postings from this site with interest until they confirm all is O.K. with the new updates.

I do read the mail from PC advisor but it doesn't mean I understand all of it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?