vista os appears to be missing

conrail 00:32 07 Oct 2008

sons hp laptop with vista home premium on has suddenly lost it's os, it started with automatically downloading sp1, it ran very very slowly so I tried system restore, although it is 9 months old the only restore point was to remove sp1, tried that only to be told it could not remove it although it did not show in add/remove,
laptop then continued to run slow so tried startup repair, still the same so tried reinstalling from the D:\recovery option, managed to get up and running, installed avg, spybot & adaware, laptop recomended restart so did that, now it appears that the os is missing and all I get is the curser/hourglass on startup then just the curser and a plain blue screen, I can move the curser about but there is nothing there, no start or anything, restarting and choosing repair asks me to choose an os, no options or select the drivers but here I don't know what I am looking for, it is under warranty but that will take ages and son uses laptop for uni work. all help gratefully appreciated

ventanas 08:45 07 Oct 2008

You can try startup repair
click here

ventanas 08:46 07 Oct 2008

Sorry, you've already tried that, I will go back to sleep.

conrail 10:31 07 Oct 2008

thanks ventanas, I sat unti 2:45 this morning when vista suddenly loaded, can't even remember what I have done, the recovery partition is on D, can't find an option to create a recovery disc, it must be there somewhere, the paperwork that came with the laptop says one isn't required but I think I need one so can somebody tell me where I need to look to create this disc, thanks

conrail 10:49 07 Oct 2008

had a look at this, click here
but not sure which version of vista son has,
x64 or x86 version, how do I find out? and do I need to use the laptop to download this program so it will know where to look for files or can I use my pc running xp home and burn the files to disc?

crosstrainer 16:36 07 Oct 2008

It's almost certainly the 32 bit version (x86) Very few laptops are running the 64 bit version, in fact, very few PC users are using it.

System information will tell you what version your son has installed.

aine 20:39 07 Oct 2008

sp1 shows in the control panel, go to updates on the add/remove page it should be near the bottom of the list

conrail 22:28 08 Oct 2008

thanks aine, learned something new, it's not there so must have got rid of it, how do I set the laptop so I can select updates rather than automatic?

conrail 22:32 08 Oct 2008

just found where the updates are waiting to upload but I need to stop

smiler1st 17:08 21 Oct 2008

I had similar problem with my Sony Vaio and got a recovery cd from a site a work colleague told me about. Give it a go

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?