Is this Vista, or my PC

ventanas 14:07 03 May 2007

Every time I disconnect a removeable drive, either caddy or pen, using Safely Remove etc.., the screen goes black for about one second at each stage of the process. A bit unnerving at first, but am used to it now. Just wondered if this was normal.

BurrWalnut 15:21 03 May 2007

It doesn't happen to me but I never use 'safely remove...'.

I just wait a few seconds after accessing it then unplug it, just the same as I do in XP.

Pine Man 16:43 03 May 2007

Just tried my USB card reader using 'Safely Remove' and it behaved just as it did with XP and the screen didn't go black at all.

ventanas 17:00 03 May 2007

Must be me then, could be something to do with the video driver. I'll just have to go with it. Thanks very much

Miki2108 18:21 03 May 2007

my screen does that with vista as well,even when opening programs in administrator mode as well not jus removing drives

SteveWH 18:28 03 May 2007

This also happens when using UAC which i have turned off now as it really began to get on my nerves.

eoinrua 23:42 03 May 2007

Hi, you're not alone. It's a Vista thing for sure.

I use a combined monitor/TV with my PC and when Vista boots up it shows the desktop for a little while then goes black.

It wasn't a problem in XP for I used the same monitor and it never happened. Neither is it a problem in Linux. I boot several Linux distros - one from a pen drive - and it doesn't happen.

The good news is it's not a big problem when booting Vista - all I do is change to a TV channel, switch back to PC and everything's fine.

Vista's still pretty buggy, but I'm sure it'll all be OK with SP1...

Input Overload 00:53 04 May 2007

I sometimes get a black screen for a second or two on boot up after the desk has loaded, then all is ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?