Vista OEM

blanco 17:22 28 Jan 2007

I see that Ebuyer has Vista Home Premium OEM (for system builders) at £66.99.

As I would intend to upgrade my system before considering Vista and this would involve a new motherboard, CPU, hard drive and graphics card is there any reason why I couldn't go down this route?

Mr Beeline 17:33 28 Jan 2007

Hi blanco

I know some people will tell you otherwise... but I've been building / upgrading PC's at home (for myself and friends etc.) for many years now (I even remember paper tape / card punches ... so that will give you a clue how long) and always use OEM versions of Windows and have "never" had a problem. Even when upgrading a PC with a new motherboard. Though big upgrades tend to cause Windows Product activation to kick in. Usually you have to phone (automated system) and get a new code to type in. Only twice have I had to speak to a "real" person and once I explained, I still got a new code.

So I would say "no problem, buy OEM.

PS. Obviously you don't get any phone support should things go pear shaped. But hell, that's what forums like this are for.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?