vista not loading

zoostorm 17:01 21 May 2007

Just bough a Zoostorm quad core. It has a MSI Platignum 975X mainboard. I have added 2Gb of identical DDR2 RAM to the Channel B slots. The machine runs much faster but Windows Vista won't load now.

How can I get through this problem? Can't find anything to change in the BIOS set up.

Help!!!

Total beginner, much happier with spanners and hammers.

Probabilitydrive 17:11 21 May 2007

Is you system set up for a dual-boot? Please clarify the-for me-contradiction that your system runs faster but without Vista?.

Whatever it is here you find some info on RAM restrictions of a VISTA system.click here
click here
click here

zoostorm 17:32 21 May 2007

Thanks for the reply Probabilitydrive.

I mean that it starts with 2Gb, but when the extra 2Gb was added (I've switched them around, so I know the RAM is good) the machine shoots through start up but it won't load Vista.
It goes to the option screen, and when loaded in safe mode gets half way through and fails.

p.s. currently using my old PC as I am waiting for the cd to get the vista drivers for my ISP

skidzy 17:35 21 May 2007

After looking at your mobo,it does carry a voltage warning:

Due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system configurations may or may not operate smoothly at the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) standard settings (BIOS Default on the motherboard) such as DDR2 voltage, memory speeds and memory timing. Please confirm and adjust your memory setting in the BIOS accordingly for better system stability.

From click here

zoostorm 16:21 22 May 2007

I think you are right skidzy, I tried it with 3Gb in either Channel B slot and the system booted up - but not with 4Gb.Any idea where and what to change in the BIOS to make it function?

skidzy 17:24 22 May 2007

You will probably have to wait for a bios update,keep checking the mobo 's website for an updated bios that maybe able to read 4GB.

Warning though,if you do use a bios update and its a buggy one....you could render your mobo useless.

Personally look for other answers first.

zoostorm 16:33 24 May 2007

MSI replied saying that I need to flash the BIOS manually.

I can flash a dynamo, but how do I flash the BIOS?

skidzy 17:18 24 May 2007

Look for an updated Bios to the one you currently have.

Only flash the bios if your sure this is what you wish to try !!!

Firstly find out your current bios version.
Boot into the bios and look for the version,normally at the top of the screen or run Everesthome click here then click motherboard,then Bios...this should display your current bios.

Post the details back here and we can try to find you an updated bios.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?