Vista not compatible with Samsung LCD??

Simon Brothers 17:38 09 Apr 2008

I got a Sony Viao VGX-XL201 living room PC. It had XP installed but was Vista ready. Also got the discs for Vista Home Premium.

I use my Samsung LCD tv as the monitor (using HDMI)so I can watch & record TV etc through the PC and TV. I specifically bought this TV because it is PC compatable.

Everything worked fine in XP so I followed the instructions for a clean install of Vista. All appears fine at first but when I turn the TV to standby it upsets Vista totally. If I record TV through Vista's media centre the recording is rendered unwatchable, freezing, hanging, skipping. It breaks internet connection etc and leave a desktop message to the effect of 'Display fault'. The only way to fix it is to re-boot. But this is no good as the main reason I bought this unit was for an all-encompassing media kit for the living room and clearly leaving the TV on 24/7 is no solution.

I've been round and round with Viao's helpline who simply say download drivers, which I've done with no effect. They also say HDMI is one way traffic i.e PC to TV but not TV to PC but that can't be right otherwise the PC wouldn't know it's connected to a Samsung (which it does). Sony can't seem to help. The fact is, turning off my TV immediately impacts the PC's ability to function. The fact that it did not happen with XP tells me the fault lies with Vista. Please, can anybody shed any light on this? Many thanks.

anskyber 17:51 09 Apr 2008

Are your graphics card drivers up to date?

Simon Brothers 19:43 09 Apr 2008

Thanks for the suggestiones, I downloaded graphics card drivers from Vaio's Vista pages. Would a graphics card effect PC functionality when the TV is turned off though?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?