Vista Laptop won't update, and CPU runs flat out

NJ4959 12:52 19 Jun 2016

My seven year old Vista laptop hasn't received any Microsoft updates since March (I know there's been some as my desktop also runs Vista - don't laugh!). I've applied the Microsoft fixit tool but update just searches endlessly but never finds any.

Also, the CPU is running flat out all the time and chucking out quite a bit of heat. I run Norton Utilities on it, and other than the odd fault and cookies, it never finds anything.

It has a Core 2 Duo CPU, and 4GB RAM. Would it run Windows 10? I know Vista support ends next Apil, which is kind of ironic as it seems to have ended already!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:28 22 Jun 2016

Have tried to update my vista laptop over the last few days it appears the server is not responding "try again later" was the furthest I could get after running all the fixes.

Jollyjohn 11:52 23 Jun 2016

I would disable "Automatic updates" If you use task manager and look at processes you will find "Trusted Installer" is probably the culprit for cpu useage. This is Windows trying to update.

NJ4959 22:20 23 Jun 2016

I've disabled automatic updates. In Task Manager Trusted Installer doesn't appear. The ones using most of the CPU are Firefox and SVCHOST. As I'm not the only one who can't get updates I wonder if Microsoft are doing this. Their upgrade website says, as my computer is running Vista, I should buy a new one with Windows 10. Not happening, I've recently got a MacBook, and actually prefer it.

Jollyjohn 11:29 24 Jun 2016

Right click on SVCHOST and Go To Services (or Processes) and you should see Trusted Installer Highlighted. Stop it.

I would consider disconnecting laptop from internet and see if that helps.

If you like the Macbook then stick with it. See here for how to migrate dataclick here if you haven't already managed it.

NJ4959 11:52 27 Jun 2016

I've done as you suggested, thanks for your advice. When I disconnect the internet the CPU use drops quite a lot. The only problem is I use it mostly for the internet! My desktop also runs Vista, and doesn't have any of these problems (my laptop has a Core 2 Duo CPU, and my desktop has a Core 2 Quad CPU, both have 4GB RAM). I used to use Google Chrome, which worked fine. I only changed to Firefox when Chrome stopped supporting Vista. Firefox regularly crashes. I think I've tried every browser. Internet Explorer is a no-no on Vista, Chrome no longer supports it, Firefox is unstable, and Safari doesn't support it either. Looks like my laptop is going be retired, and replaced with the MacBook.

Jollyjohn 13:11 27 Jun 2016

Have you tried Opera as a browser? See here for info click here

NJ4959 12:22 28 Jun 2016

Thanks, I'll give Opera a try. Interesting article on the Opera page, saying only 1.4% of people are still using Vista, while 10.9% are still using XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?