Vista KB 938371-Important

peter99co 20:19 14 Feb 2008

I know this is a duplicate thread but the original post on Helproom seems to have not found a solution. Does anyone know why this update is failing to install in Downloaded Automatic Updates

skidzy 20:29 14 Feb 2008

Funny this popped up;

I had plenty of updates last night and only moments ago noticed this update sitting there waiting to be installed manually.

This is in preparation for Vista sp1 to help improve reliability when you install or remove Windows Vista SP1,so basically giving you the choice.

peter99co 20:41 14 Feb 2008

This came down In last hor with other update and where all succesful downloads all have installed except this one. i do not seem to be alone. In the Control Panel list of progams installed it is included but the update history shows FAILED. Microsoft update says it cannot be uninstalled. does this also mean failed instals?

skidzy 20:48 14 Feb 2008

Have you rebooted the machine before installing this update ?

If not,try it again after a reboot.

peter99co 20:54 14 Feb 2008

After all the downloaded updates had been installed the machine was rebooted because some of the updates reqd a restart i.e. Pending.
I do not have the update still outstanding to reinstall. I have tried to download Via Windows Update and none are available?

skidzy 21:04 14 Feb 2008

Sorry peter i do not seem to find anything to help in the installation of this update,only this from MS click here

anskyber 21:06 14 Feb 2008

Interesting.

I got this update yesterday. But, after the usual round of updates I always do a manual update and it appeared then.

Obviously there could be an important sequence of updates for everything to work and this one has to go in last. I also understand it was released on the day of the updates so it could have been late for that reason.

peter99co 21:06 14 Feb 2008

Yes found that but not much use if the update failed.

peter99co 21:09 14 Feb 2008

Should I uninstall via control panel add/remove and can i then download another copy? Did yours Install ok?

skidzy 21:15 14 Feb 2008

Will it let you uninstall it ?
Mine is installed ok and cannot be removed ! just as MS says,though you may have this option as it did not install.

peter99co 21:23 14 Feb 2008

I highlight it and click uinstall and it just goes back to standard program list. i go to update list and it is still there. I cannot find WHY it has failed and how to ask Microsoft directly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?